27

Matt thought weddings were overrated. People like his cousin Jackson and his fiancé, Olivia, used a wedding as an excuse to show off what they called love. If you were going to marry someone, it should be about you and them only, right? Why threw so much money and effort into planning a whole ceremony only for people to laugh in your face, if  you ended up signing the divorce papers and she walked away with half of your fortune and the kids?

Matt could go on about how overrated weddings were. Even though he bought you an engagement ring, even when he proposed and put the ring on your finger, his opinion never changed. He loved you more than anything. Years ago, if someone told him he'd be sat on his bed with his future wife, debating over flowers for the wedding, he'd laugh and call it bullshit. But now, it was happening.

You were the love of his life, so he wanted you to have everything you wanted, even if it was a big wedding or an expensive wedding dress.

"Who's Kevin?"

"My cousin"

Matt laughed at the unfamiliar name on the guest list. "You never mentioned him"

"So?"

"So why are we inviting him?"

You sighed and reached for the notebook in his hand and used the pen to point it out. "Kevin is dating Julie, she's close to my brother. I want Julie at the wedding and I can't tell her not to take Kevin"

"So, we have to invite Kevin?"

"Yes!" You smiled and kissed him on the lips. "You're doing good with the guest list, babe"

"Can I do something other than the guest list?"

His question surprised you. "I thought you hated wedding planning"

"I do. But I don't want to be useless and let my wife do everything"

"I like it when you call me your wife"

The heat from your face made Matt feel whole. He lifted up your hand and kissed the ring on your finger. "We don't need to get married so I can call you that. I'm going to tell everyone you're my wife from now on"

"Okay" you nodded, biting you lip. "Since you're such a good husband, can you help me come up with a better theme? Since Olivia stole my idea"

"Better than Alice in Wonderland?" Matt faked a gasp and you scrunched your nose at him.

"I want it to be better. That's a lot of pressure. Can you handle that?"

"Of course, wife, you can count on me"

That's how Matt ended up here, laying on the couch on a Saturday morning, with Nate by his side, a notebook in his hand and a pencil behind his ear.

"Nate, we need a theme!" Matt announced, pointing at the ceiling and looked so serious. Nate didn't bat an eyelid as he carried on texting.

"Why is it always me that has to come up with something, when you always come up with something yourself?" He asked, without looking at Matt.

"You say stuff that makes no sense, but it actually turns out to make a lot of sense!"

Nate scoffed at Matt and moved closer to see what he wrote down, which was nothing. This was an hour he spent.

"I bet it'd be more fun if I went with the girls" Nate groaned. "And Beck. The girls and Beck"

Matt agreed. However, he knew he couldn't see his girl in her wedding dress before their wedding, which was doubtlessly irritating because he'd been imagining her in a white gown ever since her brother's wedding.