3

You read the words on your textbook with your head in your hand and glasses in your hair. You made it look like you'd everything under control, but you were struggling.

You'd been in the library for hours and you were still lost. Your exams were close and you hated to admit you weren't as smart as you thought you were.

"Hey, are you okay?"

You snapped out of your thoughts when you heard a voice you didn't recognise. You looked up to find a pretty girl smiling down at you. The girl was dark hair, sat down on the other side of the table.

"Sorry, did I make too much noise? I have to read the words to remember them" you explained, looking around to make sure you didn't bother anyone else. Then you remembered you met her before. Tara sat behind you in Biology and she knew the answer to every question she was asked.

"I noticed you were struggling" She said, smiling. "Do you need help? I can help you study, if you want"

"I definitely want that"

You didn't have any close friends in college and though you liked being alone, you guessed it was important to have a friend to turn to at times like this.

~

You both began the study session in the afternoon. At first, you suggested going to her place because you didn't want her bumping into your annoying roommate. But Tara shared a room with someone who blasted music 24/7, so you had no choice. And you hoped Matt wouldn't be back anytime soon.

"Don't worry, he's at a party" you reassured her when you noticed she was looking around for someone. "He'll be back soon...maybe"

"He?"

"Yeah, he. We're not friends" you said, shaking your head as soon as she saw the look on Tara's face and decided that it was best not to confuse her. "I'll tell you about it sometime. Let's get started"

"Okay" Tara sat on the couch and opened her textbook.

You'd only been studying for an hour when Matt came back unannounced. Your head shot to the door as soon as you heard it unlock and Matt burst in.

"Have you seen my phone?"

"Why are you asking me, it's your phone?"

Matt's frown disappeared when he noticed the girl sitting on the couch. His stare turned Tara to stone and she smiled back at him.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?" Matt asked, pointing at Tara and you swore you wanted nothing more than to smack the smirk off his face. You stood up, introduced them and left the room.

"Did she say something bad about me, Tara?" You heard him ask her. But before Tara could answer, you came back and shoved his phone into his hand.

"As if I would talk about you at all" you rolled your eyes

"That's how things go in this apartment" You told Tara, who laughed but stared at Matt. If Matt stayed any longer, Tara would've lost her senses and then no one would help you study anymore.

"Please go now"

"I'll miss you too"

You rolled your eyes at his sarcasm and sat back down on the couch. You knew it wasn't who he was, but sometimes you did wish he meant the words he said to her.

Matt walked out quickly, not forgetting to say goodbye to Tara. Once he was gone, Tara let out a sigh.

She turned to you with wide eyes. "He's hot. What the hell?"