19

Nate and Lilly could hear the argument from your apartment when they stepped into the hallway. Nate thought they were on the wrong floor but Lilly swore she double checked the number on the elevator before pressing it.

"Did we go back in time or are they really fighting?" Nate asked as they walked to the apartment.

"I'm sure Matt's done something stupid again" Lilly shrugged and knocked on the door. The voices inside stopped when she knocked and you opened the door, with an upset look on your face.

"Who died?" Lilly joked when you invited her in and Nate followed behind.

Matt put his hand on his hips and glared at you, you had your arms crossed and you were biting your lip to keep calm.

"She lost the promise ring" Matt spoke up.

"By accident! He's overreacting"

"Overreacting?" Matt let out a sarcastic laugh and looked at his two friends. "Tell them who you were with when you lost the ring"

"Really, Matt?"

"She was with Eddie" he answered for you. "How did you lose it, Y/N?"

You gave Nate and Lilly a shrug. "I'm not sure that's how I lost it-"

"Eddie asked if he could take a closer look, so she took it off!" Matt cut you off again. "I mean, who takes off their boyfriends ring just because another guy asked them to? This lady right here!" Matt pointed at you and you hit his hand away.

"I was only with Eddie because he paid me to tutor him!" You raised your hand to defend yourself. "And I remember clearly putting the ring back on after he gave it back!"

"Sure"

"Are you calling me a liar?"

"Guys!" Lilly shouted, shutting you and Matt up. You both stared at her and so did Nate, who stayed quiet the whole time.

"I know this makes me sound like a hypocrite because Nate and I yell at each other almost every day-"

"True" Nate added.

"But, don't you think instead of fighting, you should just ask Eddie if he knows where it is?"

"I can't look at him without wanting to punch him" Matt said and you rolled your eyes.

"See? It's jealousy!"

"At least I never had a private study session with another girl"

"Private? We were in the library with other people and you had friends who are girls, I never complain because I know that's all they are"

You looked away and muttered under your breath. "It's just a stupid ring anyway"

"What did you say?" Matt squinted his eyes and stepped closer to you. Lilly opened her mouth to defend you but Nate held her back.

You glanced at Matt and saw how angry he was. You knew you were wrong but you had no idea why you didn't apologise. Were you scared or too proud?

"Maybe you don't deserve it" Matt said, leaving everyone shocked. "Maybe I shouldn't have given it to you in the first place"

Ouch..

You might have got angry because Matt was yelling at you, he hasn't done that since you started being friends. But hearing him say that really hurt your feelings.

Without saying a word, you grabbed Lilly and pulled her with you to the front door. Matt didn't try to stop you.

"You're just gonna let her go?" Nate asked him.