6

You didn't know how to break the news. You lay in bed thinking it the right words to say and guessing how Matt would react.

"Move out what does that mean?"

And you were right, he didn't take it well. Maybe if you didn't tell him first thing in the morning, you would've gotten a better reaction.

"Matt, listen-"

"Did I do something? Is it because I forgot to take the trash out? If I-"

"Shut up!" You yelled, cutting him off. "You have to let me talk"

Matt nodded and the look on his face made your heart ache. As Matt sat beside you, you reached for his hand and he knew something was wrong.

"My Mom called me" you began. "Their business is in debt and they need to save up all the money they can. I had to send them my savings and..I can't afford to live here anymore"

When you first moved into the apartment, Matt wished for this day- the day you asked to move out. But now, he was begging you to stay.

The idea of coming back to an empty flat and dinner alone was comfort to him, now it was scary. If you were gone, he wouldn't hear your laugh everyday, you wouldn't be there to annoy him and he wouldn't have anyone to tell about his day.

"Where are you going to live?" He asked, knowing you couldn't go back to the dorms because it was more expensive. But if you were renting a new place, who was going to be your new roommate?

"I found a cheap apartment with one bedroom. It's far from campus, two bus rides maybe but it will do for now"

Matt felt his heart sink to the bottom of his stomach. If you didn't live under the same roof anymore, he doubted you would spend as much time together or see each other as much. He might lose you for good.

~

You and Matt decided to skip class and go see the apartment you were moving into. From the online ad, you had so much hope, but it turned out to be horrific, according to Matt. There was no way he was going to let you live in a terrible neighbourhood, so far away from him, all alone. On the way back to his car, he came up with solutions.

"Let's go see two bedroom apartments. If we get a reasonable price, I'll move with you"

You laughed and shook your head in response. You thought he was joking. There was no way that he'd give up a perfect apartment for a smaller one. When you looked at him, you saw how serious he was. He was willing to move out. For you.

"You really can't live without me, can you?" You joked to lighten the mood.

Matt smiled at you. The happier he made you feel, the sadder you became when you thought about how much you were going to miss his smile when you left. You were going to miss him so much.

"Don't be full of yourself. The simple reason is I'll have to look for a replacement and learn to live with that one. Too much work" he rolled his eyes. You knew it wasn't half the truth.

"Excuses" you clicked your tongue and crossed your arms. "Admit it. You can't live without me"

Matt laughed it off and changed the subject to lunch. He didn't want to admit it, but you were right. He couldn't live without you.

~

The apartment turned out to be a failure. There wasn't one that was acceptable to you. You didn't know if it was because you were attached to your old apartment, or the world was gone against you finding a new one.

On the long drive home, you suggested that you stop searching for another apartment, what you needed was another roommate.

"I'll sleep on the couch if I have to. You can keep your room"