22

Who the hell works on a Sunday? You thought to yourself, sipping your coffee that was now cold.

Matt left early for a morning run, so you had to wait for him to get home so you could have breakfast together. In the meantime, you finished your tasks so you could do the presentation for the meeting on Monday.

You really missed college. Everything was easier back then.

The doorbell echoed in the apartment, making you stand up and you ran from the kitchen to the front door. Beck was here. You hadn't seen him for a long time because of how busy you'd been.

Beck got back from California a week ago and called you to set up a date. At first, you thought that he missed you. But the main reason was he needed help making brownies.

"Hey!" Beck waved when he saw you at the door. You wasted no time to pull him in for a hug.

"I missed you so much!"

Beck opened his mouth, but was interrupted when the elevator opened and one of your neighbours walked out, holding grocery bags. She was older than you, slightly geeky, but the look she gave you before taking out her keys made Beck suspect his judgment was wrong.

Before he could ask, you spoke first. "He's gay, okay? I'm not cheating on my boyfriend!"

Your change in attitude left her and Beck in shock. You grabbed Beck's wrist and pulled him outside, closing the door behind them.

"Getting along with the neighbours, are you?" Beck laughed, taking off his jacket and watched you rub your forehead in frustration.

"Last week she told everyone in the building I invited a guy over when Matt was at work. But it was just Nate dropping stuff off"

"Maybe she's jealous" Beck shrugged. "I mean, Matt is kind of everyone's type"

"True" you laughed. "I'm gonna force him to wear a shirt that says 'I'm taken' every time he goes out"

Beck laughed along and waited as you headed to the kitchen to get him a drink.

"Tea or coffee?"

"Water please"

"Good choice!"

You came back a few minutes later and sat down next to him. Just as he was about to ask about Matt, the front door opened and Matt rushed inside with the biggest smile on his face.

"Babe, I'm home. Oh, hey Beck. I didn't know you were coming"

"You're in a good mood" Beck laughed.

You furrowed your eyebrows as Matt leaned in and kissed you on the lips.

"What have you got behind your back?" You asked, knowing he was up to something the minute you saw him smiling and biting his lip to contain the excitement about whatever he wanted to show you.

"Guess what I found outside our building"

"Oh no.."

"A puppy"

As soon as Matt showed the puppy, Beck shot up from the couch and rushed to Matt, so he could pet the dog. "Oh my God! You baby!"

Matt carefully handed the puppy to Beck. "Beautiful, isn't she?"

While Matt and Beck gushed over the dog, you raised your eyebrows and crossed your arms. "Matt, we have to give the dog to the doorman, Brian. The owners probably living in this building and they're probably worried"

"If it's true, then they must be terrible owners for letting him out on his own" Matt said. "I say we're keeping him"

"We aren't keeping him! We're giving him to the doorman, so he can go back to his owner" you said, pointing at the dog, who stared at you with puppy dog eyes, making you turn soft.