39

When Matt woke up, you weren't there. Your side of the bed was cold, so he thought you'd been gone for a while. You left him breakfast on the counter and a note saying you had to see Lilly for something about the wedding. He wanted to believe that was true, but after last night, you acting like nothing was wrong proved otherwise.

Matt paced the living room back and forth with his mind racing. He thought a lot and decided to call you. If something was wrong, he shouldn't be hesitant. He waited, biting his nails as the phone rang.
As
"Hello" you finally answered, sounding fine as if you hadn't been crying last night.

"Hey, babe. Uh..I saw your note and I just want to know when you'll be back"

"I don't know. Another bride booked Lilly's venue on the same day and she's angry. I just..I don't want her to get arrested for murder"

Matt let out a small laugh, relived you cracked a joke which could mean you were in a better mood. "Can you come back early? We still haven't talked about last night"

"There's no need to" you said, catching him off guard. "I forgive you, let's move on"

"Babe, I don't think we should-"

"Lilly's back. Gotta go"

And then you hung up. There was no 'I love you' or 'see you later' and that was enough for him to panic now. Matt took the day off and worked from home, in case you came back early. He was determined to have this conversation.

When he woke up from his nap, it was dark and raining but you were home. Your clothes were on the bed and he heard the shower running so he guessed you just got back. Matt rolled out of bed, rubbed his eyes and headed towards the bathroom.

You didn't hear her him come in, you were standing in the shower with your back facing the door. You washed your skin carefully, humming a familiar song which he'd heard you sing many times before but didn't remember the name of. Matt opened the shower doors, causing you to cover your bare body with your arms as you turned around, eyes wide.

"You should've knocked" you spoke before he could, looking away from him. Matt stayed quiet, mumbled an apology and closed the door, before going back into the bedroom.

It took you a while to come out with the towel wrapped around your body. No words were spoken as Matt watched you blow dry your hair. When you were done, you took the clothes into the bathroom so you didn't have to get dressed in front of him.

"Babe, I'm going to Lilly's"

"Why?" He shot up and followed you to the living room. "You just got back"

"I got back a while ago. You were sleeping" you picked your bag up off the couch, but he blocked you before you could step any further.

"I want to talk"

"I already told you-"

"I'm serious, Y/N. Talk to me and you can go wherever you want"

"We'll talk when I get back"

He grabbed your wrist as you turned away and held it so tight that you had no other choice but to face him.

"You keep avoiding me and making excuses to leave whenever I try to talk to you. Do you want to talk about it at all?" Matt huffed. He couldn't remember the last time you made him angry. You were supposed to be in love, not pushing each others buttons.

"Do you.." he stared at you when you didn't speak . "Do you still want to fix us?"

"Us needs fixing now?" You furrowed your eyebrows, looking at him confused.