Chapter 37

Rhaenyra and Daemon talk, things are still a little awkward between them. Laenor and Visenya talk and he lets her in some secrets. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Things had been very awkward since her small slip with Daemon. She was not sure where they stood and he was not happy that she had been avoiding him. She felt like a child again, which made her angry. For the past sixteen years, she had to make several hard decisions and had never faltered. But speaking to her uncle left her tongue-tied and feeling like she was Visenya's age. She had been hiding in the small council chambers all day, which came to an end when the doors opened and Daemon walked in.
"Are you planning to ignore me forever?"
"I am not ignoring you." She was, but she was not about to admit that to him. "I have been busy, in case you have not noticed I have a kingdom to rule."
"Do not use that as an excuse." Daemon sat down beside her. "I know you might not want to see me, but what happened between us will not go away just because you choose to ignore it."
"We should not have done what we did." Rhaenyra sighed. "We were not ready for it."
"You were not ready for it." Rhaenyra opened her mouth, but Daemon raised a hand and shook his head. "I do not blame you for it. I am aware of how much I hurt you and I cannot blame you for being angry. But you should know that I am not going to back away this time. I spent a lot of years letting you down and I will not do it again."
"I am not making you do penance, Daemon."
She did not want to live that way, holding his mistakes over his head for the rest of their lives. Unlike her father, who still refused to admit he had done things wrong and had never apologized, Daemon had recognized his mistakes since the first day. Her uncle had apologized over and over, listing all the things he had done wrong. He had admitted to being weak and letting himself be influenced by other people.
"You might not make me, but I will do it all the same." His large hand covered hers. "I abandoned you and our daughter and whatever reasons I had at the time do not matter. I was weak and hardheaded and will regret it for the rest of my life. But you should know I will not give you up, nor will I give up our daughter." His hand squeezed hers and she could see it in his eyes, he was being honest. "If you need more time before you can give yourself to me then I will wait as long as you need. If you want to use me for your pleasure and nothing else, then I will do as you ask. The one thing I will not do is to give you up unless you can look me in the and tell me that you do not love me."
She wished she did not love him, things would be so much easier that way. She was saved from answering when the doors opened once more and one of her guards walked in and bowed.
"Your grace, Princess Visenya, and Prince Aemond have returned."
"What?" Rhaenyra frowned. "What do you mean they have returned?"
"Their dragons were observed flying over Blackwater Bay, before landing on the beach." The man looked between her and Daemon for a moment. "Would you like us to have them brought here?"
"No, you may leave." The guard nodded before walking out and Rhaenyra turned to Daemon. "They were not supposed to return for another five days."
"Maybe our daughter realized she made a mistake and does not want to stay married to that little shit." Rhaenyra gave Daemon a droll look and he just smiled innocently. "What? It could happen."
"No, it could not. They are in love, they were blessed by a goddess." Rhaenyra gave him an annoyed look. "They are not dissolving their marriage."
"Well, a man can dream."
Rhaenyra groaned and stood up. There was a reason her daughter and brother had returned early and she was sure it was nothing good.