Chapter 46

Visenya enjoyed her freedom now that her mother is away and threatens a few people. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

"You are finally awake." Visenya continued running the small whetstone against the blade of one of her knives. The chair she was sitting on was comfortable and she was glad that her mother and father had left early in the morning. She had not told her mother about Larys, she did not want her to cancel her wedding trip. "For a moment I thought the guard hit you harder than he intended."

Larys groaned and shook his head, his movements slow and sluggish. He sat up and was startled when he noticed the shackles and his lack of clothes. She had only left him with his small clothes and that was because she did not want him to die too soon.

"Wha..." He stopped and flinched at the sound of his own voice.

"Yes, I imagine your head hurts. I had my mother's healer prepare a tincture to relieve the pain. It will make you feel better." She gestured to the small glass vial close to him and smiled when he refused to take it. "Do not worry, it is not poisoned. I do not want you to die too quickly. I have a whole fortnight to play with you."

"Is this what the new queen does?" He did not sound upset or even annoyed, merely curious. "Kidnaps and kills her lords?"

"No, she does not. But I do." Visenya ran the whetstone slowly over her blade, watching as Larys looked at it before swallowing. "You see Larys, while you have been watching everyone I have been watching you. You are very good at hiding your true intentions and lying to people. You gossip with the ladies and pretend to be a sweet and pitiful cripple, while in truth you are just power hungry."

"You cannot assume that." Larys took the small vial and down it in one swing. He still had not raised his voice. "People are not always what they appear to be, but there are a select few who are exactly as they show themselves to the world."

"That is true, but that is not your case. I do not think you have let people see who you truly are since you started to understand that the lord of Harrenhal would be your brother and you would never be anything more than a second son, with no true power or standing." His jaw clenched, but he did not say anything. "I have seen the way your father and brother love you, the way Harwin protects you, but you do not care about that. Your family's love means nothing to you, you see them as a hindrance, something in the way of your success."

"I love my family."

"You might, but your ambition is much greater than your love."

"That is not true." He was now attempting to look sad and pathetic. "I love my family, they are the only thing I have."

"Is that why you were planning to have your father and brother killed?" She loved taking people by surprise, it gave her a thrill and Larys's reaction did not disappoint. His mask slipped for just a few seconds, but it was more than enough for her to see the true monster underneath. "As a Targaryen, I have more knowledge about fire than most, and it is a cruel and agonizing way to die. Yet, you were planning to burn your father and brother. You must really want to ingratiate yourself with Alicent if you are willing to kill your entire family for her." Visenya tilted her head to the side, not sure how someone as good as Lyonel had produced someone as dark as Larys. "What I do not understand is what you believed you would gain by it. Even if my mother did not realize that you were the one behind their deaths and made you Lord of Harrenhal, you were not going to raise much farther than that."

"I was not planning anything of the sort." While his face was a serene mask, his eyes were another thing entirely. She could see how truly rotten he was.