27- Promises

Book 2: So, this is Forever

27- Promises

"Good morning, Mrs. Chankimhas," Dr. Patel greeted the couple warmly as they stepped into his office.

"Good morning to you too, Doc," Becky replied, while Freen nodded and ushered his wife to her seat.

"So, Doc, how did the tests go?" Freen asked with a hint of nervousness.

"Seems someone is excited, huh!" Dr. Patel remarked with a smile. "Well, Becky underwent numerous preconception screening labs, vaginal and uterine tests, a Pap smear, and, of course, blood and urine tests. To sum up the results, I'm pleased to say that she is in perfect health to bear a child."

"That's wonderful news, Doc," Freen exclaimed, relief evident in her voice as she glanced at Becky, who beamed with joy.

"I'm glad to hear that everything looks good," Becky said, her eyes shining with happiness.

Dr. Patel nodded, sharing in their excitement. "Indeed, it's a promising start to your journey. Now, let's discuss the next steps and any questions you may have about moving forward with your plans for starting a family."

As they delved into the discussion, the atmosphere in the room brimmed with hope and anticipation for the future that lay ahead for the Chankimhas family.

"So, when would you like to start the hormonal therapy? We can actually begin as early as today or tomorrow," Dr. Patel offered.

"Tomorrow," Freen responded, eager to move forward.

"Not yet, Doc," Becky interjected softly.

They responded in unison but pointed in contradicting directions, causing a moment of pause.

Freen was taken aback by her wife's response, her confusion evident.

"Babe?" she asked Becky, concern lacing her voice. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing, Baby. Let's talk it out when we get home," Becky replied with a reassuring smile.

Dr. Patel nodded, acknowledging the unspoken dynamics between the couple. He respected their need for privacy and reflection outside the clinical setting.

"Of course," he replied warmly. "Take all the time you need to discuss and decide together. Starting the therapy is an important step, and it's essential that you both feel comfortable and ready."

Freen and Becky exchanged a glance, silently communicating their shared resolve. With a nod of gratitude to Dr. Patel, they rose from their seats, preparing to depart.

"Thank you, Doc," Freen said, her voice conveying appreciation for the doctor's understanding.

Becky echoed his sentiment with a smile. "Yes, thank you, Dr. Patel. We'll be in touch soon."

________________

When the car stopped at the entrance of the hospital, Freen opened the door for her wife and then walked around to the other side.

As Freen settled into the backseat of the car, she instructed the driver, "To the mansion, please." With a press of a button, the privacy separator emerged, granting them a confidential space for conversation.

"Baby, tell..." Freen began, but Becky gently hushed her, placing her fingers on Freen's lips and shaking her head. Freen, sensing Becky's intention, fell silent.

"The answer to your question," Becky said softly, handing over an envelope.

"What is this, babe?" Freen asked, her curiosity piqued.