42 - A treacherous maze

Book 2: So, this is Forever

42 – A treacherous maze

Freen's POV

In the relaxed afternoon of our spontaneous lazy day, just the two of us in our mansion, we decided to indulge in another movie marathon.

While I was engrossed in browsing for a movie, my wife returned from the kitchen.

"I've made our favorite burgers, Babe," she announced, placing the plate on the center table.

"Hmm," I murmured absentmindedly.

"Babe, just choose anything, even something we've watched before," she suggested, settling beside me on the couch.

"Naaaahhh! I want something new. I don't want to repeat the same thing all over again. Tsk! That's just boring, babe." I replied, shrugging off her suggestion.

She didn't say anything more, maybe, just letting me decide.

"Hey, how about this? It's something new. Would you like to try it?" I asked, silently reading the movie synopsis without looking at her.

Still met with silence, I turned to her and was greeted with Becky's angry bear expression, sending a chill down my spine. What did I miss? What did I do wrong?

"B-baby? What's wrong?" I asked cautiously, feeling a lump in my throat.

She raised her eyebrows, her voice tinged with anger, "Is that your way of saying you want someone new? You don't want me anymore, Freen?"

"Oh, shoot!" I muttered, realizing I'd stepped into a verbal minefield.

"No, no, that's not what I meant at all," I stammered, trying to explain myself. "I just meant I wanted a new movie, not someone new. You're the only one for me. How did you even get that idea, baby?"

"Oh, so now there's something wrong with how I think?" she shot back.

I winced, feeling like I'd made things worse. "No, baby, not at all," I hurriedly explained. "Let's just pick a movie we've seen before, okay?"

"Now you want the same old thing, just because you're out of options," she said after rolling her eyes at me.

"Ugh, baby," I whined, realizing I'd stepped into another minefield.

"What?" She raised her eyebrows once more.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that," I apologized, hoping to smooth things over. "Believe me, I was just talking about the movie. I'm yours, remember?" I took her hand and kissed the top of it

"Yes, you're mine, Sarocha!" She declared, then suddenly sat on my lap, facing me with her legs on each side.

"Oh, Babe," I was taken aback and leaned back on the couch. Then she suddenly hugged me and I return the embrace.

"Don't love someone new or someone else, baby, just me, please," she whined like a literal kid.

Oh, my, how fast her mood shifts, from a grumpy scary bear to a cute and cuddly little bear. But I better shut my mouth now, before I dig myself into another grave.

As she nestled into my embrace, her warmth and affection melted away any lingering tension. I wrapped my arms around her, holding her close, and whispered, "I promise, it's just you, now and always."

Her playful pout softened into a smile, and she leaned in to plant a gentle kiss on my cheek. "Good. Because I'm not sharing you with anyone else."

I chuckled, feeling relieved that our little misunderstanding had been resolved. "You have my undivided attention, my love."