34 - My truth

Book 2: So, this is Forever

34 – My truth

Freen's POV

With tears shimmering in her eyes, Zea looked up at Becky and me, her voice trembling with uncertainty. "Are you mad at me? Mommy? Dada?"

"No, sweetheart, not at all," I replied instantly, gently tucking a stray strand of her hair behind her ear. "Why would you think that Zea?"

"Because I didn't defend you from his hurtful words," Zea explained, her tears welling up once again.

"Oh, honey," Becky enveloped Zea in a comforting hug, her embrace filled with love and reassurance. "Shhh... don't cry, sweetheart."

I knelt down in front of her, meeting her gaze with a soft smile. "Listen to me, my little bear," I began gently. "Dada is actually very proud of you."

Zea paused, looking at me with a mix of confusion and curiosity. Her cute little face and big expressive eyes made me chuckle softly.

"It's true. I'm proud of you because you didn't retaliate," I continued, my smile warm. "Although I'm not happy that you hurt yourself instead. But the important thing is, I'm proud of you for not hurting him back, even though he hurt you."

Our daughter glanced at Becky, seeking confirmation in her eyes. Becky chuckled too, touched by our daughter's innocence and kindness. "I agree with your Dada, sweetheart. You have a kind heart, our little Zea Patrice," Becky affirmed, planting a loving kiss on her cheeks.

Zea's expression softened as she absorbed our words, her tears beginning to subside. She sniffled and nodded slowly, taking comfort in our reassurances.

"Thank you, Mommy. Thank you, Dada," she whispered, her voice filled with gratitude and relief. "I'll try to be strong like you."

Becky smiled warmly, brushing a gentle hand over Zea's hair. "You're already so strong, sweetheart," she said softly. "But remember, being strong also means knowing when to ask for help and lean on others."

I couldn't help but wonder if Becky's last phrase was only meant for Zea, maybe for both of us too. Even if me and Becky have not yet settled our quarrel, we knew, we had to prioritize Zea for now, so I pushed aside the idea that she was hinting it for me, for us.

I nodded in agreement, placing a reassuring kiss on Zea's little hands. "We love you more than words can express, sweetie"

Despite any lingering tension between me and Becky, we both understood that Zea's well-being was paramount, setting aside our differences for her sake.

With a nod of agreement, I leaned down to plant a tender kiss on Zea's small hands. "We love you more than words can express, sweetie," I whispered, my affection palpable in my voice.

After our heartfelt conversation, we decided it was best for Zea to rest for a while. Becky and I tucked her into bed, making sure she was comfortable and surrounded by her favorite stuffed animals. Zea's eyes drooped with fatigue, but a faint smile lingered on her lips, a sign that she felt a bit better after our talk.

"We'll be right here if you need anything, sweetie," Becky whispered, placing a gentle kiss on Zea's forehead. "We'll make it a cozy movie afternoon marathon when you wake up later"

I nodded in agreement, sitting by Zea's bedside to keep her company. "Sleep tight, my little angel," I murmured, brushing a strand of hair away from her face.

As Zea drifted off to sleep, Becky and I exchanged a knowing glance, silently promising to do everything we could to lift her spirits and make her feel loved and cherished. We quietly left her room, closing the door behind us with a soft click.