44 - ICU

Book 2: So, this is Forever

44 – ICU

Freen's POV

I sat on the uncomfortable hospital chair, tapping my foot impatiently as I waited for any news about Becky. The clock on the wall seemed to be moving in slow motion, each tick amplifying my anxiety.

Just as I was on the brink of despair, my sister Irin burst through the doors, a beacon of hope in the sea of uncertainty. With her medical expertise, she wasted no time in rushing to Becky's side.

But before she could even begin to examine Becky, I grabbed her wrist, desperation evident in my eyes. "Irin, please," I pleaded, my voice trembling with emotion. "Take care of Becky. Make sure she's okay."

Irin's expression softened with understanding as she gently pried my hand from her wrist. "Of course, Freen," she reassured me, her voice calm and soothing. "I'll do everything I can for her. She's in good hands."

I paced back and forth in the waiting room, my mind racing with worst-case scenarios.

Time dragged by, and my anxiety only intensified. I found myself lost in memories of our time together, each one a bittersweet reminder of how much Becky meant to me.

With each passing moment, I prayed for some sign of hope, some indication that Becky would be okay. But all I could do was wait and hope for the best, my heart heavy with fear for the woman I loved more than anything in the world.

Feeling restless and overwhelmed by the waiting, I decided to take a moment for myself. I walked down the corridor, my steps echoing in the empty hallway until I reached the hospital chapel.

Pushing open the door, I stepped into the quiet sanctuary, the soft light filtering through stained glass windows casting colorful patterns on the floor. Despite not being religious, I found myself drawn to the calmness of the space.

I found a pew near the front and sank down onto it, feeling the weight of the day pressing down on me. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, trying to find some semblance of peace amidst the chaos. I clasped my hands together and bowed my head, sending up a silent plea to whoever or whatever might be listening.

"Please, let her be okay," I whispered, my voice barely audible in the hushed space. "I don't know what I'd do without her."

The minutes stretched on, each one filled with a mix of hope and fear. I tried to focus on the present moment, on the stillness and quiet of the chapel, but my thoughts kept drifting back to Becky and the uncertainty of her condition.

Eventually, I felt a sense of calm wash over me, like a gentle wave lapping at the shore. I knew I couldn't control what happened next, but I could hold onto hope and trust that everything would work out in the end.

With renewed determination, I rose from the pew and made my way back to the waiting room, ready to face whatever news awaited me with strength and resilience.

Feeling the need to be close to Becky, I hurried back to the emergency room, hoping to find some reassurance. But as I reached the bustling area, my heart sank when I realized she was no longer there.

Panic surged through me as I frantically scanned the room, searching for any sign of her. I approached the nurses' station, my voice trembling as I asked, "Where's my wife? Where's Becky?"

The nurse at the desk looked up, her expression sympathetic. "I'm sorry," she said gently. "Your wife was transferred to the VIP ICU Room a short while ago as per Dr. Irin's order. They needed to monitor her closely."

My stomach churned with worry at the news. Intensive care sounded serious, and I couldn't help but fear the worst. But I pushed those thoughts aside, focusing instead on finding Becky and being there for her in any way I could.