Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Truths

Holden POV

So here we sit, the nerves building as I prepare myself to tell all to Bethany; the human ex of my son, my at-death’s-door future Alpha son.

I watch my hands shake as I realise I have to go back on the promises I made when taking over the pack from my father; the promises that include keeping the secret of shifter wolves from naïve human beings that weren’t mated to any of our pack.

But this was for the sake of our pack; the future and success of our land, wolves and Alpha line.

“Right Bethany, I need to be honest with you about some things. About Deacon, about our family; the family that little boy in there,” I pause to gently place my hand on her swollen stomach, “is being born into. You deserve to know, and for Deacon’s sake, I have to tell you so you can help us. If it was any other situation, I wouldn’t… I couldn’t tell you.”

I look up to consider Bethany’s reaction, only to see confusion.

“What’s going on Sir?”

Right, here goes.

“Bethany, your son is part wolf, and will be our future leader of the pack.”

“Mind my French but what the actual fuck?”

I can’t help the slight gust of laughter that leaves my lips, “I guess I was expecting that really.”

Bethany doesn’t speak further, just waiting for me to expand on my statement from a few moments ago. I hate going back on my word, the vow I made when I was handed the responsibility of the entire pack. This was on my shoulders now.

I take a deep breath, and look forward; watching the doctor continue to work on Deacon, and let the words escape me, “We are all wolves Bethany, we can transform from humans, shift into animals. It’s in our blood; it’s who we are.

Deacon, being our future Alpha is at risk regularly; rogues trying to take over the pack, or get revenge for something or other. That is why he is currently in the state he is.

After finding out about… well you? He disappeared… we thought he just ran off, but today we finally found him. He was in a state. Right now, we don’t even know if his wolf will be able to save him.”

I stop and look over at Bethany; she’s staring down at Deacon with tears streaming down her cheeks, shaking her head.

“There is only one more thing we can try Bethany. Something you can do.”

Her head shoots back to me, an incredulous look on her face, “me? I can help?! How?”

Would this work? I don’t have a clue, but I just have to try.

My son needs this chance!

Especially after the shit he’s been through because of me!

I caused this, not Deacon.

I have to save him.

“Carrying the future Alpha gives Deacon a chance. All we need, all he needs is a drop of your son’s blood-“I have to cut her off as she tries to interrupt, “-I know it’s risky, and you aren’t with Deacon, so you don’t have a reason to help, but I’m begging you to give this a chance.