Chapter 21

THIS IS ONE OF MY LONGEST CHAPTERS. I HOPE YOU APPRECIATE.

PLEASE READ; COMMENT AND VOTE.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING!!

Chapter 21

Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

Deacon POV

I move the conversation to the living room, wanting Bethany to be comfortable- her belly is rather large and I can’t even begin to understand how much pressure the pup is putting on her spine; shifter females have a hard enough time carrying to term due to the strength of their pups.

I’m going to have to keep an eye on Bethany.

“Ok, erm, Bethany. I don’t want any of our baggage to make our co-parenting difficult. I want to support you, and our son,” Bethany tries to cut in but I carry on, “nobody has forced me. I want to. You are carrying my pup, the pack’s future alpha. You are carrying the very existence of our pack inside you.

Please don’t feel like that burden it on your shoulders- that is my job to cover. But also, don’t think in any way I want to take your baby away from you. I want us to work together- provide the stability and love our son deserves… needs.

I know it won’t be easy. We have a history. But I know we can do this. I have faith in you… and somehow, my father has faith in me.” I shake my head, still not grasping how dad has so much faith in my abilities.

“Deac, listen, please. I want this to work. This little man,” Bethany strokes her belly affectionately, “deserves that at least. We didn’t plan to become parents so young. I also guess that girl… Virginia? Is your… mate? I know you are bound to her, but your son needs you too.

I hate to admit it, but I need you.

I have nobody else Deac…” she lowers her head and voice, into a broken whisper.

I find myself on my knees in front of Bethany, cupping her face, “what do you mean?” Bethany rests her cheeks in the palms of my hands, her eyes closed; a single tear escaping.

“Mum has cancer… it’s terminal. She only found out last week.”

Oh shit.

“What about your dad? Isn’t he here?”

Sobs then fill the air as Bethany practically collapses into my chest; this can’t be good for the baby.

“Hey, hey,” I rub her back soothingly, “calm down sweetheart, please?” I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so broken; I don’t like it. Not one little bit.

“Dad wwwwwas having an affair. He left a month aaaaaaa-go. He was ashhhhhamed of me, mum was always tired… we didn’t know wwwwhy back then. He gave up. I don’t have anybody… Mum has a few months at most. I don’t even knnnnow if she’ll meet her grandson.” The sobs continue, and the words sink in to my brain.

I felt royally shit.

Not only has Bethany been dealing with her pregnancy alone, her dickwad dad walked out and left her and her sick mother, and she’s about to lose her mum too.

I’m just as bad as-

“Don’t even think you’re like him Deac. Your son isn’t born yet, but you’ve stepped up. Please don’t berate yourself. You didn’t even know if you were the father.”

How did she know what I was thinking?

“How-?”

“I know you Deac, we were together for a while.” Cutting me off again.