Chapter 31

This chapter is dedicated to Skye79 :)

Here we goooo....

*hides* you're gonna hate me...

Chapter 31

The Waiting Game

Deacon POV

Holy fuck.

Fuck.

Shit, fuck, bollocks, MOTHER FUCKING SHIT!

I can’t get the image out of my head.

Bethany slumped in my arms with blood seeping down her legs…

The blood, oh god, so much blood.

My son, Maddox... I don’t even know if he’s alive, or Bethany.

I’m stuck out here in the crowded hallway; most of the pack had to be so fucking nosey and join us while we’re stuck in limbo!

I know it’s the pack’s future at stake here, but this is MY son. MY ex. MY family in there with their lives on the line.

MY FAMILY, NOT THEIRS.

It’s been 47 minutes since Christian and the pack nurses had whisked Bethany off, prepping her for surgery.

Those words, emergency caesarean clouding my every thought.

This wasn’t how it was meant to go!

Bethany and I had a strict birthing plan; no pain relief, water birth, calm and soothing. We wanted Maddox to come into the world at peace, not drugged up or stressed.

He was a baby! He didn’t deserve this.

Neither did Bethany.

What the fuck was going on??

Despite my mother’s constant murmuring of support, positive words, I was still as uptight as when I was after seeing her collapse in my arms.

I went into crazed wolf mode, I was screaming, shouting, swearing for someone to fucking do something! Nothing anybody did was good enough or fast enough.

I wanted, no, I needed to know what was going on!

11pm came and went, leaving my heart on the line, my child’s future, life, existence in the balance. I could feel my wolf aching to get out and tear someone to pieces. For Bethany and Maddox I was forcing him back. I had to try and stay calm.

They needed me to hold it together right now.

I needed Virginia here; she would calm me down.

“Mum,” I whisper hoarsely, looking over at her, feeling the tears begin to descend down my tired face, “I need Virginia.”

Nodding her head in understanding, she stood and left the hallway, winding her way through the throngs of wolves, waiting for news.

I can’t believe how wrong tonight had gone. One minute we were all chilling out, watching a film, the next we were waiting for news on whether my son and Bethany were even alive!

I felt myself go before I could stop it happening, my body slipped from the wooden bench and my knees slammed onto the wooden floor; I didn’t care that it hurt, I didn’t care about me. I cared about my son. I cared about the lives of the people I cared about in theatre.

Tears poured endlessly down my face, I didn’t care what I looked like to the pack, I was falling apart at the thought of losing my son before I’d even had a chance to meet him.

Please don’t do this to me!

I will try to be the best dad I can possibly be; I will love him with every fibre of my being. I will love and cherish him and support him to the best of my ability.

Don’t let him die now.

I was actually kneeling there, praying for my son.

I didn’t know how much time had passed; I didn’t care about time, I didn’t care about me, I didn’t care if I died next week- as long as Maddox was alive and well.

“Deacon, baby. Hey!” Warm arms wrapped around my neck, sensual tingles running through my limbs. Oh thank god!

“Virginia… I- I-,” I sobbed. Yes I sobbed. I don’t care!

“Don’t say anything, just let it out baby, I’m here.” Oh god she was amazing. I needed her and she was here. I was so grateful for Virginia.

I didn’t deserve her, I treated her like shit and she was still here.

Was this my karma? Was the world doing this to me as payback for my stupidity?

Why was the world so cruel?

Why was I such a tool?

After full on bawling my eyes out, I was slowly beginning to calm down when the squeak of a door opened and I was alerted to a low cough- someone wanted my attention.

Snapping my head up to the sound, I took in Christian; blue scrubs covered in blood with a bundle of blankets in his arms.

“Christian!” I jumped up, grabbing Virginia’s hand tightly as she followed suit, “what’s happened? Are they ok? Is my son-.”

“Your son,” he passed over the bundle of blue blankets and dropping Virginia’s soft comforting hand, I took it and looked down- gasping, “he needed to be resuscitated but his AGPAR is good. Your son is healthy.”

Dark brown curls, soft tanned skin- as if sunkissed- and pouted pink lips.

Maddox.

Oh thank god!

“Bethany?” I asked gently, forcing my gaze from the child in my arms, “how is she doing?”

Looking into Christian’s eyes I saw remorse, sadness… Shit! NO!

“I’m sorry Deacon, but Bethany lost a lot of blood. She had a condition known as placental abruption. We weren’t able to save her.”

“She- she’s dead?” I stutter in shock.

“I’m sorry Sir.”

Bethany, the mother of my son, is dead.

Dead.