Chapter 19

ENJOY! :)

Chapter 19

The Big Sit-Down

Declan POV

You know that moment when everything, every weight plastered on your shoulders disappears? Yeah that, I finally got to experience it. It was… a relief.

Deacon was awake, and healed, up and about. I knew he had questions, but that could wait until we knew he was ready. I wasn’t about to force a bucket full of information on him just yet.

Virginia… well she had some problems; she had left her mother’s after everything with her dad came out. Her mum blamed her- something I am disgusted about. None of this. NONE of it was Virginia’s fault. She never wanted any of it to happen, but the blame was put on her shoulders. But she was now living with us now, so I knew she was stable, as was her little sister Adrianna.

They had moved in, and taken up camp in two of the spare rooms; thankfully we had a huge house and plenty of beds to go around. I was happy to have them both here. This would give Deac and I a chance to properly get to know our mate, and try to make this bizarre situation work… somehow.

My brother was alive, and for that, I would thank the gods.

So, back to the present, to the now, we are sat around the dining table, all of us; mum, dad, Holden, Deac, Virginia and Bethany. I know we all need to be here to talk, discuss and ask any questions we have.

Holden, as Alpha, stands to begin the gathering, “right, we are here to help Deacon. He has some unanswered questions. Questions we all need to answer, so please, son, ask away.”

I swallow hard, wondering what questions will arise from this discussion, hoping to ease some of the burden on my dear brother’s mind.

Once Holden has seated, I watch in anxiety as Deacon squares his shoulders, takes a deep breath and starts, “why- Jackson? What happened?”

Holden is the one to answer, explaining the horrible event with Virginia’s little brother Jamie; my eyes dart over to my mate, seeing the pain, the guilt in her eyes as the story is told. Deacon’s face turns to her, his jaw practically on the ground, letting the information sink in.

“That saves me the question about Jamie,” he mutters, “what’s going to happen to Jackson now? He is in custody right?”

I feel as the atmosphere in the room heads south at this question, “yes, he is. The council have decided an execution is the course of punishment for his actions,” Holden’s gaze darts to Virginia has he explains.

Virginia’s face pales but she holds herself well.

“Ok… errm… how did Bethany save my life?” I can tell Deacon is uncomfortable about asking this particular question. I can feel it through our wolf connection; the shudder and well hidden panic doesn’t shy away from our link.

I can feel the tension bristling from the others too… I’m sure this isn’t a subject anybody wants to broach right now. Especially with Virginia here.

Nobody talks. Nobody is willing to give Deacon the answers he seeks, so I take the responsibility on my shoulders, “Deac, Bethany saved you because she is carrying your heir, your son. His blood healed your wounds, and helped your wolf awaken.”

He was already told when he roused from his coma, but I don’t think it properly sunk in. I don’t think he had enough proof to believe the words. His face frozen in place as the news absorbs into his system; a slightly confused look on his face.

“This is definite? No lies, no tricks?” He asks, disbelieving.

“Yes,” it is Virginia who speaks up this time, raising her head to face Deac, “if it wasn’t true, you wouldn’t be alive right now. Bethany is carrying your son. No doubt about it.”