Chapter 40

This is it guys. Last real chapter. Epilogue to come after this chapter.

Very strange to know this story- the story I've been working on for nearly 2 years is coming to an end. I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have. xxx

Chapter 40

A Fresh Start

Declan POV

Was this the right thing?

Should I be letting Virginia doing this herself? She isn’t a killer.

Part of me understood her reasoning; wanting the closure, ending that chapter of her life and it being at her own hands would make it more bearable, easier to move past but the idea of her being the one to do this put my wolf on edge. Neither he nor I could see Virginia doing such a dark deed. Would this help her or would it put a cloud over her shining aura?

I didn’t know. Nobody did, but we couldn’t bring Virginia back from this decision. It was her decision, and only hers to make.

If she changed her mind, then we would support her, but I was not going to force her into a decision she wasn’t happy with. I was Virginia’s mate and I had respect her in every aspect of her life, from who she is, the way she overreacts at the little things, what she wears to her personal opinions and life decisions. I loved her regardless of her flaws as she does for me. That is what a mate is, we give our all and love hard and unconditionally and never give up when things get tough. Virginia is my mate and I will never ever give up; I think Deacon is finally realising what it takes and today I saw the side of him he needed to be. I hope to the wolf gods that he continues on the right track; Virginia needs him to be this man, therefore I need him to be too. And his son, my nephew needs a responsible and loving father. Maddox was an innocent in all of this; he didn’t ask to be born. He needed a stable and supportive family; everybody needed this right now. With another brother due any day now, I have to ensure we can all support each other and provide the children with the upbringing they need, deserve.

Putting my thoughts aside, I followed Virginia out of the house and towards the holding cell, not wanting to leave her alone with that woman; it seemed Deacon had the same thought, following suit. Our feet moving in time with each other’s, we descended the stairs into the dark concrete bunker. Resisting the urge to shiver from the chill of the environment in which we found ourselves, I pushed forwards, following the scent of fresh blood; Lydia had gotten injured when we attacked earlier and the wound was still weeping as nobody had bothered to remove the wooden shard from her shoulder.

Upon seeing the shivering figure in the corner, my wolf began growling inside my head, attempting to take over. If it had been my decision, she would’ve been ripped apart earlier by my brother but Virginia wanted to do this herself so I couldn’t let myself weaken. I had to give her this.

I had to literally force my wolf down; I needed to stay in control. My wolf could growl in my head all he wanted, he wasn’t coming out to play.

“Stand up.” Virginia snapped, no mercy in her voice.

Lydia ignored the command, curling into the corner, her knees pressed up against her chest; the disrespect had Deacon and I growling in anger. Our mate was to be respected.

“I said, STAND UP.” Virginia growled this time, gritting her teeth. Obviously she didn’t enjoy being ignored either. “Do you want to die with dignity or as a coward, Lydia?”

That got a rise out of her.

With a stumble, Lydia erected, staring at her daughter with distain, “I was and will never be a coward.”

I heard an unladylike snort come from my mate, “bullshit.”

Lydia hissed and moved, her hand coming out to swing at Virginia, “you do not swear! How many times do-?” She didn’t get to finish her sentence, Virginia was too quick, darting out with force; I heard an audible crack before Lydia screamed in pain. “You broke my arm you little bitch!”

“You do not swear. How many times do I have to tell you?” Virginia retorted childishly making Deacon and I snort in amusement.

Lydia was curled over on her knees, cradling her deformed arm to her chest, staring up at her daughter with disbelieving eyes; finally realising the girl before her wasn’t the weak child she believed she’d raised. Her daughter was stronger than she ever imagined and nothing she said or did was going to work anymore.

“So,” Virginia crouched down to her mother, “any last words?” Her voice was gentle, calm but with meaning. She knew it had to be done, but she didn’t want to be evil; even to the woman who tortured her, she was being gentle, respectful to the end. This woman knew no bounds. I was in awe of her. She had more patience, understanding and respect for anybody than I had ever witnessed.

“I love my mate. I’ll be with him and Jamie. All I ever wanted.”

Ouch! That bitch!

“Say hello to my baby brother,” Virginia murmured gently, “and tell daddy to rot in hell.” Quickly standing up, Virginia gave her mother one last glance before turning to us, “I’m sorry, I can’t do it. I thought I could. Could you-.”

Deacon stepped forward, “is that what you want Virginia?” He asked gently, “it is completely your decision sweetheart.”

She quickly nodded her head and rushed over to me, not wanting to watch; Deacon quickly removed his clothes and shifted. I wanted this over and done with. For Virginia to move on, and for us to try and start afresh.

In a quick move, Lydia was no more.

“Can we go back in?” Virginia whispered, “I want to sleep.”

The three of us headed to the family home, and up to Deacon’s bedroom. With our beautiful mate in between us, we lay on the bed and held her, giving her the safety and security she needed to settle off. After a few tears, Virginia’s eyes fluttered closed and she settled into dream land.

“I think it’s time for a fresh start,” Deacon murmured quietly, “how about we get our own place and move on with our lives?”

“Sounds like a plan, batman.”