Chapter 10: Waiting on you

*song above is Seasons (Waiting on You) by Future Islands*

Emily's POV

I went to our spot. I know. Dumb. If anything, I should have been as far away as possible from here. But I knew that Ali wouldn't skip school, Paige doesn't know much about this place and the girls probably wanted to do whatever Alison wanted so stood back.

At least here I could think somewhat clearly.

Although what I did kills me it's the only way I'm going to figure out what I want. Everything I've said to them for past weeks is killing me. I have never been so mean in my life. I can't believe I thought that this would be the easy way out. I don't think anything has ever been so difficult. I basically had everything and turned it into nothing. They probably all hate me. I hate me too to be honest. I screwed it up so badly. I know why I did it. I just don't think it was a valuable reason anymore. I've lost everyone who cares about me. I'm alone. The worst words were the ones I said to her. Telling her I didn't care... It kills me.

I stay like that a couple hours. Contemplating. Just sitting on the rock, thinking about the day we met. The way she never missed a meet. The way she messaged me in the middle of the night just because. The way she opened up to me about herself. The way she became herself because she wanted to be with me. The way we would sit on my bed dealing with drama and just talk for hours as she played with my hair. The way she did everything out of love for me. The way I would dream about our future together. The way we were planning our future together.

I look at my phone. Crap! Half past three! I should get going. I had followed her the first few days and this is where she had come. I had stopped after like 4 days because it wasn't good for me to see her cry like that. I leave just in case she shows up, I run to my car and drive away. I know it's not good for me to stay here.

I go back home. I get my stuff, push it into my bag, grab a snack and hop in my car. I drive away as fast as possible, Toby lives across the street. I can't face him or anyone. I need to get away.

Paige's POV

I spent the whole afternoon at the back of the classroom. I knew we were over a long time ago. I knew when I found out Alison was alive that everything would change. That Emily and her would happen. I wasn't dumb. You never forget about your first love no matter how hard you try. I just didn't expect Em to be so rude about it. Alison's walls had clearly come undone when she came back but the way Emily left her made her seem so frail and weak. I knew Emily and I were over. I was just starting to be ok with it actually. But God! she was such a bitch about it. I mean yeah I know, I asked Em if we could back together all those days ago but I wasn't expecting her to be the bitch she'd become. I hate her for what she said to Alison and me that day, but I thought that would be it. Ever since that day I've stayed by Alison's side. She's clearly miserable. That's why I slapped Em! She's become Alison. I had the courage I didn't have back then. That's why I could stand up to her. I shocked myself but the way she had been treating all of us was completely unacceptable. Alison and I were closer and we'd gotten rid of all the bad blood between us .

*Flashback to Ali's first day at school when she goes from Emily to Paige in the morning*

Alison was walking towards me. Uh OH! This cant be good. I close my eyes and prepare myself for the hit.

'' I'm sorry'' I open my eyes and there in front of me is standing a girl who's been through a lot, a girl who had to play dead for 2 years to stay alive. ''I'm so sorry Paige. I said and did the most awful things to you'' she says to the ground '' I made you feel worthless and no one deserves that. Especially not you'' I looked at her quizzically, as if she understood she kept going in a broken voice '' You did what I couldn't do. You protected Emily. You were there for her. You made her happy. You make her happy. You make her forget about the pain I put her through, the misery I put both of you through. I will never be able to apologise enough. '' Tears were falling from both our eyes right now. She tried to control it '' I want you to keep doing that. I love Emily. But I won't let myself ruin your love. I don't know what she feels for you. I won't lie. All I know is that she doesn't look at me the way she used to. I want you to make her happy Paige. Emily deserves her own happy ending.'' I smiled at that last part, it's true Em always lived for the happy ending of others. I hugged Alison tightly and she hugged back. We smiled at each other as we broke away. ''I'm sorry'' she whispers one last time before turning to walk back to Emily who had a dumbfounded look on her face.