6

( LIVER
PROBLEMS )

Blackwater Ridge
Lost Creek, Colorado

Two tents are set up near a fire ring. Crickets chirp. Inside one tent, two young men, Brad and Gary, are playing head-to-head handheld video games. "Dude, you're cheating." Says Brad.

"No, you just suck." Gary replies. Something growls outside. In the other tent, a third guy, Tom, records a video message on his cell phone.

"Hey Haley, day six, we're still out near Blackwater Ridge." Something dark flicks behind the tent wall behind him, too fast to be identifiable as more than 'something dark', but the screen on Tom's phone caught it. "We're fine, keeping safe, so don't worry, okay? Talk to you tomorrow." He stops recording and sends the message.

Brad closes his game system and tosses it aside. Gary stares at his system for a moment, then turns to look at Brad, who is getting up and unzipping the tent. "Hey, where ya goin'? My moment of victory." Gary says.

Brad turns to him. "Nature calls." He goes outside and zips up the tent behind him. He goes to stand against the tree to relieve himself.

The fire crackles. Something snaps a stick. Brad looks towards the sound and sees the trees rustling. He shakes his head and returns his attention downward, then looks up sharply. Something growls.

Inside Tom's tent, he hears Brad scream. Inside Gary's tent, Gary hears the same and rolls over. "Brad?" Gary calls out.

"Gary, what's goin' on?" Tom asks. Gary opens the tent and sticks his head out to look around. He sees nothing. Growling. He looks up. Something pulls Gary out of the tent. He screams and Tom turns out the lantern he had on.

Shadows move very quickly around the outside of his tent. Tom looks around, his eyes following the shadows and growling. Silence falls. Something slashes open his tent and he screams.

Palo Alto, California

Birds are chirping as Sam carries a boquet of various flowers to a cemetary. Sam sighs and stops next to a gravestone. It reads 'Jessica Lee Moore', 'Beloved Daughter', 'January 24th 1984 - November 2nd 2005'.

There is a small picture of a grinning Jess set into the stone above her name, a black-and-white picture of her leaning against the stone between a white teddy bear and a wooden box with a crucifix leaning on the picture, a small American flag next to the box, and three candles standing on the gravestone.

Sam looks between the gravestone and the flowers. "I, uh..." He laughs. "You always said Roses were, were lame, so I brought you, uh..."

Sam looks at the picture set into the gravestone, then looks away, choking back tears. He steps closer to the gravestone.

"Jess...oh God..." Sam kneels to set down the flowers. "I should have protected you. I should have told you the truth." He leans the flowers in front of the crucifix. An arm covered in dirt shoots out of the ground and grabs Sam by the wrists.

He jolts awake. Sam blinks and rubs his eyes. Dean has a concerned look on his face. "You okay?" Dean asks his brother.

Sam straightens up and looks in the backseat. Elena is laying in the back asleep. "Yeah, I'm fine." He says and faces the front.

"Another nightmare?" Dean asks and Sam clears his throat. "You wanna drive for a while?"

All of a sudden, Sam starts to laugh. "Dean, your whole life you never once asked me that."