34

( THE UNTOUCHABLES )

STREETS OF BURKITSVILLE

      Stacy, Harley, Scotty, and the Sheriff are standing in the rain, upset. "You don't understand, Harley. All of us here-It's our responsibility to protect the town." Scotty says.

      "I understand. Better than all of you. I'm the one that gives 'em directions. I'm the one that sends 'em down to the orchard." Harley says. 

      "Harley, please."

      "We all close our doors. Look the other way. Pretend we can't hear the screams. But this is different, this-this is murder." Harley says.

      "It's angry with us. Already the trees are beginning to die. Tonight's the seventh night of the cycle. Our last chance." Stacy says. 

      "If the boy has to die, the boy has to die. But why does it have to be her?" They had tied Elena's hands together and was now holding her captive.

      They say nothing, but stare at the ground, disappointed. In the cellar, Dean is by himself. Suddenly, the cellar door opens and Emily is there, being held by her aunt and uncle. She is crying.

      "Aunt Stacy. Uncle Harley, please." They bring her down the stairs, next to Dean and go back upstairs. "Why are you doing this?"

      "For the common good." Stacy shuts the cellar door and Dean and Emily are left in the dark.

      "Was there another girl out there?" Dean asks.

      "Yes," Emily sniffs. "They had her as prisoner. I think they're gonna kill her.

BUS STATION

      Meg is gathering her things. Sam is trying to call Dean on his cell phone. "Hey. Our bus came in." Sam hangs up the phone, shaking his head.

      "You better catch it. I gotta go." Sam puts on his backpack.

      "Go where?" She asks.

      "Burkitsville."

      "Sam, wait."

      "I've been trying to call my brother for the last three hours. I'm just getting his voicemail." He says.

      "Well, maybe his phone's turned off."

      "No, that's not like him. Meg, I think he might be in trouble."

      "What kind of trouble?" She asks. 

      "I can't really explain right now. I'm sorry, look, I don't want you to miss your bus."

      "But I don't understand. You're running back to your brother? The guy you ran away from? Why, because he won't pick up his phone? Sam-come with me to California." Meg says.

      "I can't. I'm sorry."

      "Why not?"

      Sam turns to her. "He's my family." He leaves. Meg watches him go, close to tears.

      Back in the cellar, Dean is trying to open the cellar door, but he fails. "I don't understand. They're gonna kill us?" Emily asks.

      "Sacrifice us. Which is, I don't know, classier, I guess?" He walks over to her. "You really didn't know anything about this, did you?"

      "About what? The scarecrow god? I can't believe this."

      "Well, you better start believing, cause I'm gonna need your help."