18

( SHEDDING SKIN )

Sam is on the side of the house, looking around. He looks inside two garbage cans but finds nothing. He moves to the front of the house, where Dean comes behind him.

"Hey." Dean says and Sam turns around to face him. "Remember when I said this wasn't our kind of problem?"

"Yeah."

"Definitely our kind of problem." Dean says.

"What'd you find out?" Elena asks.

"Well, I just talked to the patrolman who was first on the scene, heard this guy, Alex's story. Apparently the dude was driving home from a business trip when his wife was attacked." Dean says.

"So, he was two places at once." Elena points out.

"Exactly. Then he sees himself in the house, police think he's a nutjob."

Sam shifts his weight. "Two dark doubles attacking loved ones in exactly the same way." He says. 

"Could be the same thing doin' it, too." Dean suggests. 

Sam thinks for a second. "Shapeshifter? Something that can make itself look like anyone?" He says. 
"Every culture in the world has a shapeshifter lore. You know, legends of creatures who can transform themselves into animals or other men." Dean says.

"Right, skinwalkers, werewolves."

"We've got two attacks within blocks of each other. I'm guessin' we've got a shapeshifter prowlin' the neighborhood." Dean says.

"Let me ask you this—in all this shapeshifter lore, can any of them fly?" Sam asks.

Dean shakes his head. "Not that I know of." He says.

"I picked up a trail here. Someone ran out the back of this building and headed off this way."

"Just like your friend's house." Dean says. 

"Yeah. And, just like at Zack's house, the trail suddenly ends. I mean, whatever it is just disappeared."

"Well, there's another way to go—down." Dean says. They look down and notice a manhole.

Dean, Sam, and Elena climb down the manhole and look around. "I bet this runs right by Zack's house, too. The shapeshifter could be using the sewer system to get around." Says Sam.

"I think you're right. Look at this." Dean says. 

They bend down and examine a pile of blood and skin on the ground. "That is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. And I've seen Dean eat." Elena says.

"Is this from his victims?" Sam asks. 
Dean takes out a pocketknife and holds up some of the skin. "You know, I just had a sick thought. When the shapeshifter changes shape—maybe it sheds." He says and Elena holds up her flashlight to it.

"That is sick." Sam says. Dean puts the bloody pile back on the ground.

After examining the remains, Dean, Sam and Elena exit the sewer. Dean opens the trunk and takes out some weapons. "Well, one thing I learned from Dad, is that no matter what kind of shapeshifter it is, there's one sure way to kill it." Dean says. 

"Silver bullet to the heart." Sam says. 

"That's right." Dean says. 

Sam's cell phone rings. He answers it. "This is Sam." He says.