38

( MONSTER TRUCK )

GIRARDEAU, MISSOURI

      A car moves down the road, radio talking about the unseasonably cold weather. A black man sits behind the wheel. The radio crackles and dies. A large black truck approaches behind his car, moving quickly.

      The man looks in his review mirror. "What the...?" The vehicles race along the road until the truck backends the sedan once, and then again.

      The radio comes back to life, talking about politics. The truck is suddenly gone. The man continues driving, watching his review mirror.

      Suddenly bright headlights shine through his windscreen. The truck is waiting. The man skids to a halt, backs up and turns to go the other way.

      The truck is reving. He is backended again and fights to control the car as it swerves on the icy road. He is backended once last time and loses control, leaving the road and crashing through a cemetary.

      The car flips, bounces, and skids to a halt. The truck cruises to a stop, revs a few times, then backs up and disappears into thin air.

GAS STATION

      Sam is looking at a map laid out on top of the car, Dean has his phone to his ear. Elena had went inside to use the bathroom. "Ok. I think I found a way we can bypass that construction just east of here. We might even make Pennsylvania faster than we thought." Sam says.

      Dean lowers his phone and looks thoughtful. "Yeah. Problem is, we're not going to Pennsylvania."

      Elena comes out of the gas station and wipes her hands on her jeans. "We what?" She asks.

      "I just got a call from an, uh, old friend. Her father was killed last night, think it might be our kind of thing." Dean says.

      "What?" Sam asks.

      "Yeah. Believe me, she never woulda called, never, if she didn't need us." Dean gets into the Impala. "Come on, are you coming or not?"

      The Impala cruises down the road, fields on one side, a lake on the other. "By old friend you mean...?" Sam starts.

      "A friend that's not new." Dean says.

      "Oh yeah, thanks. So her name's Cassie huh? You never mentioned her..." Sam says.

      "Didn't I?" A long pause, Sam looks at Dean expectantly. "Yeah, we went out."

      Elena leans on the back of the chair. "You mean you dated somebody? For more than one night?" She asks.

      "Am I speaking a language you're not getting here? My Dad and I were working a job in Ohio, she was finishing up college. We went out for a coupla weeks." Dean said finally.

     "And...?" Sam asks, Dean shrugging slightly. "Look, it's terrible about her dad, but it kinda sounds like a standard car accident. I'm not seeing how it fits with what we do. Which by the way, how does she know what we do?"

      Dean looks shifty and Sam's eyes go wide. "You told her. You told her, the secret! Our big family rule number one. We do what we do and we shut up about it. For a year and a half I do nothing but lie to Jessica, and you go out with this chick in Ohio a coupla times and you tell her everything?" Dean stays silent, staring straight ahead. "Dean!"