27

( UNHOLY SPIRIT )

      "We just gotta chill out, that's all. You know, if this was any other kind of job, what would we do?" Dean asks.

      Sam sighs. "We'd try to figure out what we were dealin' with. We'd dig into the history of the house." He says.

      "Exactly, except this time, we already know what happened." Dean says.

      "Yeah, but how much do we know? I mean, how much do you actually remember?" Sam asks.

      "About that night, you mean?"

      "Yeah." Sam answers.

      "Not much. I remember the fire...the heat." Dean pauses for a moment. "And then I carried you out the front door." Dean says.

      "You did?"

      "Yeah, what, you never knew that?"

      Sam shakes his head. "No." He says.

      "And, well, you know Dad's story as well as I do. Mom was....was on the ceiling. And whatever put her there was long gone by the time Dad found her." Dean says.

      "And he never had a theory about what did it?" Elena asks.

      "If he did, he kept it to himself. God knows we asked him enough times."

      "Okay. So, if we're gonna figure out what's goin' on now...we have to figure out what happened back then. And see if it's the same thing." Sam says.

      "Yeah. We'll talk to Dad's friends, neighbors, people who were there at the time."

      Sam pauses. "Does this feel like just another job to you?" He asks.

      Dean says nothing for a moment. "I'll be right back. I gotta go to the bathroom." He says.

      He walks away. After turning a corner, he stands next to the bathroom door and takes out his cell phone. After making sure no one can see him, he dials a number.

      It immediately goes to voicemail. "This is John Winchester. If this is an emergency, call my son, Dean at 866-907-3235." The beep sounds.

      "Dad? I know I've left you messages before. I don't even know if you'll get 'em." He clears his throat. "But I'm with Sam and our friend Elena. And we're in Lawrence. And there's somethin' in our old house. I don't know if it's the thing that killed Mom or not, but..."

      His voice breaks. He pauses, barely keeping himself together. "...I don't know what to do." He begins to cry. "So, whatever you're doin', if you could get here. Please. I need your help, Dad." He hangs up sadly, with tears in his eyes.

      When Dean turns around, he finds Elena standing there looking sad. He composes himself and adjusts his jacket. "I thought you were with Sam." He says.

      "I was, but then I came over here to check on you. Make sure you didn't fall in the toilet." She says. "Are you okay?"

      Dean forces a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine." Before he could say anything else, Elena walks over to him and embraces him in a hug.

      "Everything's going to be okay." She whispers in his ear. Dean stands there, not knowing what to do.

      Back at the Winchester house, Jenny is showing a plumber to the kitchen, near the sink. "No, sir, nothing weird down there, I promise. Sink just backed up on its own." She says.