32

( LONG TIME NO SEE )

BURKITSVILLE, INDIANA
ONE YEAR AGO

      A married couple, Holly and Vince Parker are leaving a café, which is next to a gas station. With them is an older couple, Harley and Stacy Jorgeston, and their teenage niece, Emily. "And before you leave, one of our apple pies." Stacy says and hands Holly a box. "On the house."

      "Oh, my God, thank you so much!" Holly says.

      "You're welcome."

      Holly turns to Vince. "Hey, we should get lost more often. I mean, everyone in this town is so nice." She says.

      "Yeah, what's the catch?"

      Harley had just finished pumping their gas. "You're all set." He says.

      "Thanks." Vince says and they shake hands.

      Emily notices an intricate tattoo on Vince's arm. "That's a cool tattoo." She compliments.

      "Thanks."

      "So, let's get you back to the interstate." Harley says.

      "Yeah, please."

      "Take Laskey straight out of town."

      Stacey cuts in. "And then you're gonna turn right on Orchard Road." She says.

      "Ok. Thank you." They wave goodbye and the couple drives away.

      On the road, the couple's car breaks down. "What happened?" Holly asks.

      "I don't know. Car just died." Vince takes his cell phone out of his pocket. "Cell phone, too."

      "How is that possible?"

      They get out of the car and look around the orchard. "Come on, looks like a house over there." Vince. starts walking away.

      "No, I'm not going down there." Holly says.

      "Holly, we need help, we can't just wait here. " He says.

      She nods. "Ok." Holly follows Vince.

      Holly and Vince stop by a scarecrow raised on a wooden post. They exchange a look and walk closer to it. "Check it out. If I only had a brain..." He jokes.

      "We wouldn't be lost." Holly points out.

      "Thanks. That has got to be the freakiest damn scarecrow I've ever seen." Vince admits.

      "It scares me." They start walking away, but Holly sees the scarecrow's head move. She gasps. "Please, let's just hurry, okay?" She says.

      They start walking away. A few seconds later, they hear a rustling in the trees and turn around. No one is there. "Did you hear that?" Holly nods. "Hello? Who's there?"

      Nobody responds. They start running through the orchard. A minute later, Holly turns to Vince, and he is gone. She stops. "Vince? Vince?"

      She starts running in the opposite direction to try and find Vince. She trips and falls on the ground. She turns her head and sees his mutilated body on the ground. She screams and sees the scarecrow towering over her.