36

( THE GRIM ADVENTURES
OF ROY AND SUE )

      At Roy's house, Roy and Dean sit on couches, Sue Ann stands, filling a glass. "I feel great. Just trying to, you know, make sense of what happened." Dean says.

      "A miracle is what happened. Well, miracles come so often around Roy." She says.

      Dean turns to Roy. "When did they start? The miracles." He asks.

      "Woke up one morning, stone blind. Doctors figured out I had cancer. Told me I had maybe a month. So, uh, we prayed for a miracle. I was weak, but I told Sue Ann, 'You just keep right on praying.' I went into a coma. Doctors said I wouldn't wake up, but I did. And the cancer was gone." Roy says.

      He takes off his sunglasses, his eyes are white. "If it wasn't for these eyes, no one would believe I'd ever had it."

      "And suddenly you could heal people." Dean said.

      "I discovered it afterward, yes. God's blessed me in many ways." Roy says.

      "And his flock just swelled overnight. And this is just the beginning." Sue Ann says.

      "Can I ask you one last question?" Dean asks.

      Roy smiles. "Of course you can."

      "Why? Why me? Out of all the sick people, why save me?" Dean asks.

      "Well, like I said before, the Lord guides me. I looked into your heart, and you just stood out from all the rest." Roy says.

      "What did you see in my heart?"

      "A young man with an important purpose. A job to do. And it isnt finished." Dean looks slightly surprised.

SWIMMING LOCKEROOM

      An employee was talking to Sam and Elena. "I'm telling you, he seemed healthy. Swam every day, didn't smoke. So, a heart attack just kind of seemed, well, bizarre." He said.

      "And you said he was running, right before he collapsed?" Sam asks.

      "Yeah, yeah, he was freaking out. He said that something was, uh, was after him." The man says.

      "Did he say what?" Elena asks.

      "Well, thin air is what. I mean, it wasn't anything."

      Sam glanced down. "Alright, thanks. As Sam is leaving he notices the clock on the wall isn't working. "Hey, buddy? Your, uh, your clock's busted."

      "Oh, yeah, we, uh, can't get it workin'. Just froze at 4:17." He says.

      "Is that the Same time Marshall died?" Elena asks.

      The employee is surprised. "How'd you know?"

      Back at Roy's, Dean is leaving. Layla and her mother are waiting to go in. "Dean, hey." Layla says.

      "Hey." He says.

      "How you feeling?" She asks.

      "I feel good. Cured, I guess. What are you doing here?"

      Layla speaks softly. "You know, my mom, she wanted to talk to the reverend."

      Sue Ann comes onto the porch. "Layla?" She asks.