17

( SEEING DOUBLE )

      A Police Officer is seen in an unknown house. A girl is sitting in there, it is dark. "It's ok. It's ok." He says The girl points to the room across the hall.

      "In there! In there!" She yells.

      The S.W.A.T team moves to the other room. The man is there, trying to open a pair of doors leading to a balcony. "Freeze! Don't move! Drop the knife. Keep your hands where I can see 'em. Drop it! Hold it right there! Do it!"

      The man turns around. It is Dean.

ONE WEEK EARLIER

      Dean pulls into a station with Sam riding shotgun and Elena in the back. "Alright, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight." Sam does not respond. "Sam wears women's underwear."

      "I've been listenin', I'm just busy." Sam is checking e-mails on his PalmPilot.

      Elena leans in to see what he's doing. "Busy doin' what?" She asks.

      "Reading e-mails." Sam says as Dean gets out of the car and starts to fill the tank with gas. "E-mails from who?"

      "From my friends at Stanford." Sam says.

      "You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean asks.

      Sam sits up straight. "Why not?" He asks.

      "Well, what exactly do you tell 'em? You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?" Dean asks.

      "I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my big brother. I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess." Sam answers.

      "Oh, so you lie to 'em." Dean says.

      Sam gets frustrated. "No. I just don't tell 'em....everything." He says.

      "Yeah, that's called lying. I mean, hey, man, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse." Dean says.

      "So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asks. Dean shrugs. "You're serious?"

      Elena watches as the two brothers bicker back and forth. "Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period." Dean says.

      "You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Elena says.

      "Yeah, whatever." Sam continues to read his e-mails. "God..."

      "What?" Dean asks.

      "In this e-mail from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine." Sam answers.

      Dean smiles. "Is she hot?" He asks and Sam ignores him.

      "I went to school with her, and her brother, Zack. She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case." Sam says.

      "Dude, what kind of people are you hangin' out with?" Dean asks.

      "No, man, I know Zack. He's no killer." Sam says.

      "Well, maybe you know Zack as well as he knows you." Dean says.

      Sam looks back at the e-mail. "They're in St. Louis. We're goin'." He asks.