Revealed [Edited]

31/01/18

Edited version.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I took a deep breath and braved a few tentative steps forward. My demon instantly perked up, scenting the air in the passageway. It roared out, giving me an all clear signal. I blew out the breath that I was holding and towed the two men along. 

Somewhere along the way, Lucas had fell back, allowing me the luxury of walking hand in hand with my soul mate. It was these stolen fragments of time alone that reminded me of how lucky I actually was. 

"We're holding hands and walking in a cold dark passageway," I heard Havoc mumble. "Not my idea of romantic."

I stifled my laughter and bumped his shoulder playfully. "This is good enough for me. Having you beside me, holding my hand, is a romantic moment on its own."

His eyes softened as he looked down at me. "Then I have to make sure that I surprise you with even more romantic moments." A teasing look as he kissed the back of my hand. "This requires a very elaborate attack plan. Mark my words, you will never see it coming."

I laughed at how determined he sounded. "I'll look forward to it then."

As we continued to walk down the passage way, I suddenly smelled the stench form before. But this time, it was stronger. My sensitive nose burned from the strong odor. My eyes made a quick scan of our surroundings, noting the green smoke-like tendrils that crept along the ceiling.

Strangely enough, the tendrils seemed stuck to the ceiling, yet I knew that the stench of rotten meat was diffusing out form it.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Lucas bunching up his jacket and putting it to his nose. His green eyes were restless and his body rigid.

"The smell is back," Havoc said absent-mindedly, his eyes also on the tendrils.

He stepped closer to me, effectively bringing me under the protection of his shoulder. At the moment my body touched his, a pulse of power burst out from him to me. My gaze jumped to him, but he seemed to not notice what happened, making me frown. 

The darkness that always cloaked him seem to mold itself around me, extending itself to include Lucas who was not far behind. Instantly, I couldn't smell the stench anymore. It was as it, the darkness was filtering it out.

"Your power," I said softly. "It's something very incredible."

"Not as incredible as yours, Angel," he replied simply.

I shook my head. I couldn't explain the feeling I had about his power. His darkness was something beautiful but dangerous, like a lethal blade that could shape-shift into anything Havoc willed it to. Whether consciously or unconsciously. 

But even though he wore this extraordinary power like a second skin, I knew without a doubt that it was not a weapon he would use mindlessly. 

Time ticked by and the passage stretch on. So far, the passage was not as horrible as the previous one, the floor even and the walls free of grime and slime. But with every step I took, there was an increasing sense of dread. I knew that there was something horrible waiting for us at the end of the passageway. I didn't want to continue. I wanted to turn back. But I couldn't.

I knew that the book was at the end of the passageway, and so was our way out. We had no choice but to face the nightmare that awaited us at the end.

Suddenly, I felt a shift in the air. My feet instantly rooted themselves to the floor, not taking another step. We were close. My demon raised its head. It was hungry for blood. I could feel it trembling in anticipation.