An Early Morning Surprise [part 2] (Edited)

This is the continued version of the updated chapter. :) hope you enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was seven and I watched as the sun rays filtered through the last remaining specks of the night. The warm rays caressed my skin as the sun peeked out from the horizon, its orange hued rays kissing the dark grey clouds, dispelling the traces of the night. Birds took flight, singing out their morning call into the stillness of the dawn and the wind blew gently, rustling the leaves and kicking up old and fallen ones. I took in a breath of fresh morning air and walked slowly towards school, appreciating the symphony of the dawn that surrounded me.

My morning walk to school had always been one of the more blissful parts of my day. With little to no one around, the peace that the dawn offered was always more than enough to lift my mood and sent calmness stealing into my soul. The morning wind slid gently around me, tugging at my cardigan in a play greeting. I smiled to myself, my foot steps light against the gravelled walkway.

Hitching my bag higher up my shoulder, I turned my face towards the sky,basking in the morning glow of the sun. Being one of the top students in the school was one of the things expected of my as a member of the Anderson household. Even though I knew that Fiona refused to acknowledged that the family existed, I was determined to keep my parent's legacy, I was determined to make myself a daughter my parents would be proud of. Even if I was the last of the Anderson family, I would never sully the family name by doing anything less than my best.

It was tough, of course, what with the way I was driven as a slave in my own house, and the demands I put on myself as a fighter. But I had gotten used to my way of life, no matter how difficult it may be. It helped that I found studying merely a way to pass the time, the subjects not posing much of a challenge to me, yet never had I shown I was anything more than a nerd.

I tried my best to keep a low profile, always immediately going back home after school or just heading to the public library to read. It was of course a disguise, a way to throw off the attention of people from me because I knew, it would only be more of a hassle if people started to notice me. I didn't like the limelight for I had always been comfortable in the darkness.

As I neared the school, I made a detour, heading towards the back gate of the school. Though it was called the back gate, almost always no one used it. The gate was old and rusty and there were vines covering the metal bars of the gate. Large trees overshadowed the gate and overgrown bushes covered half of it. Pushing the gate open gently, I noticed Bob, the school janitor sitting in his favourite old armchair, his eyes closed. He was snoring under his cap, his legs stretched out in front of him. I smiled and shook his shoulder gently.

"Bob,hey, wake up," I whispered, shaking him awake.

"Huh?What? Did the Earth come to an end already?" he cried, jumping to his feat all of a sudden, almost knocking into me. His eyes were wild and his hair in a disarray as his cap fell to the floor with a thud.

I jumped back to avoid him and looked at him for a moment in shock. We stared at each other for a moment before a smile broke out on my face.

"I'm afraid today is not the day, Bob,my friend," I replied, trying to stifle the laughter that threatened escape from me.

I saw him blush scarlet and scratch the back of his head in embarrassment. I handed him his cap and fixed it on for him,smoothing out his uniform as I did so. He gave me a sheepish smile and I just shook my head in amusement. Bob was such a joker and he never fail to make me smile in amusement at his antics. Reaching pass him, I turned the knob of the door that lead into school.

The creak of the door echoed into the dark and empty hallway. The school was not officially open, but Bob was both the gate keeper as well as the janitor. He had always allowed me into the school, even if it was well before the opening time. He knew my secret as a fighter and had in fact went to the Fighting Ring a couple of times to see me fight.