An Early Morning Surprise [part 1] (Edited)

Hey guys this is the updated chapter. Here you can read a little into Elle's father's background and a little into who she is. The writing is more mature and I am hoping to fill up some of the holes in this story. Thank you for your support and enjoy! :)

<3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You're not some helpless maid are you?" he asked eyeing my overly huge spectacles that covered half my face.

I was dressed in a black shirt with a brown cardigan that reach till my knees and my favourite pair of jeans. The soft material shaped my legs and gave me comfort and warmth, a luxury when all my other clothes were thin and worn. I stiffened at the question, my hand instinctively curling into a fist, my nails biting into my palm.Forcing myself to relax, I allowed my senses to flair out, scanning the man before me. The background behind him blurred out and the life energy that all humans had simmered around him. And what I saw made my eyes widened a fraction in surprise.

Slowly,I allowed a small smile to grace my features and shook my head. I took a banana off the counter and handed it to him.

"I'm afraid not," I said softly, my gaze locking with his."I'm Fiona's step-daughter. Would you like some coffee?"

He looked slightly taken aback by my response, his eyes filling with a strange sort of light. He tilted his head to the side, openly studying me, and started to peel the banana's skin.

"Sure,"he said and sat himself back down.

I nodded and proceed to cook some pancakes, all of the different flavours, as specifically requested by the "masters" of the house. Tossing the pancakes, I considered what I should do with the man behind me. Never had I met somebody like him. To be able to deceive me to such an extent, I had never thought to have met someone of his caliber.

As I sat the plate of pancakes at the centre of the table, I poured Mike a glass of coffee and sat opposite him. Rolling up the sleeves of my cardigan to my elbows, I rested my head on my hands and studied him as he took a sip from his coffee and ate a bite from his banana.Neither of us spoke a word and a comfortable silence fell upon us.

"Mike,"I spoke his name softly, breaking the silence. He glanced up at me,his grey eyes seemingly brighter than before. Once again, I flared out my senses and found that his aura had diminished to be even subtle than before. My eyes widening slightly and I sat up straighter, my senses on high alert, ready to react to any sign of danger. I had never met anyone who could control his aura like he did, and that me wary of his presence in the house.

"Why are you in this house?" I asked, my voice cool and controlled.

It was an impossible coincidence to find someone who could master the use of his aura so subtly, to the point where I, a master at controlling and sensing auras and a manipulator of energy, could not sense his familiar presence. To deceive me into thinking that he was merely a simple bartender, to hide the fact the he was a seasoned fighter with the honed ability to disguise his aura, was simply an astounding feat, one I was sure only a handful in the world could pull off.

He looked back at me silently, his gaze unflinching. I could not read what his thoughts were, his eyes a cool grey and I started to feel a slight tension in the air. The hairs at the back of my neck rose in response and my body tightened, readying for action. Suddenly he sighed, the sharp sound breaking the taut tension between us, making me jump slightly. I blinked as he leaned forward, close enough that I could see the white flecks that surrounded his iris and the freckles that dotted the tip of his nose.

"I was afraid it would come to this," he mumbled under his breath.

That had me raising an eyebrow in question. He sighed heavily when he saw my expression. Taking a deep breath, he leaned back against the chair, crossing his arms across his chest, a slight frown on his face. I frowned back, confused with his reaction.