Mourning [Edited]

Edited ♡

~*~*~*~*~*~*

When I crossed over the threshold of my house, with a sleeping Cathy in my arms, the lights suddenly flashed on, blinding me momentarily. I blinked a couple of times to clear my vision, only to find my parents standing in front of me. My mother was frowning at me, her arms folded across her chest and my father was standing next to her, a look of confusion mixed with worry in his grey eyes.

"Jason Lambert, where have you been this past week?" my mother asked, her voice deceptively low before she saw Cathy in my arms.

She gasped and ran over. "My baby! Jason you found her! How did you find her? What happened?"

I was rigid as I placed Cathy down on the sofa before running a hand through my hair, my mother's rapid fire questions falling on deaf ears.

My heart was beating slowly, the ice in my veins cutting and searing my flesh.

"Jason, I asked you a question. And look at me when I'm talking to you young man," my mother snapped, clearly overwhelmed.

Slowly I turned around and walked into the light where she could see me clearer. She gasped, a hand over her mouth before she walked over to me.

"What happened to you? Your face is bruised! And whose blood is this? Victor you better not be behind this," my mother snapped as she turned the force of her glare to my father.

I just looked down at my mother, emotion clogged my throat. I understood why my Angel did what she did. She told me, that I had people to go home to. To protect. My mother, my father, Cathy...but she neglected to include herself in that important equation. I reached out to grab my mother's shoulders and pulled her to me, wrapping her in a tight hug.

"Mom." My voice was hoarse as I tried to control the raging sorrow within me. "Mom..."

The horror of the events in the library and the library collapsing on my Angel were pressing down on me. I felt like my heart was being gripped in a vice grip. My lungs burned and I felt tears stream down my face. The hot tears scalded my skin, adding to the pain that I felt in my soul. I could feel my mother's arms wrap slowly around me and I cried harder, my screams of pain muffled by her shoulder. I thought that if I cried it out, the pain would lessen, but it didn't. It only served to intensify the pain. The raging, white hot pain that sliced through me.

"Jason."

My father's voice cut through my haze of pain. I looked up from where my head was resting on my mother's shoulder to face him. He had his arms around mine and my mother's shoulders. 

"Jason, I don't know what happened or where you've been these past few days. But whatever it is, I want you to go upstairs and take a shower before hitting the sack. We will settle this in the morning."

Though his voice held an air of finality, his eyes betrayed his concern for me. I nodded and pulled myself away from them.

As I let the hot water pour over my bruised and aching body, I vowed never to cry as I did tonight. I would seal the pain I was feeling in my heart. It was a reminder. A permanent reminder of the love that I had and would always have for the one woman I cherished above all others. I gripped her pendant in my hands, the cool metal branding my palm.

Angel... I miss you so much...

I squeezed my eyes shut and there she was, her beautiful smiling face and her chocolate brown eyes soft with love. I quickly turned the shower off before sliding into my sweat pants and into my bed. All these little luxuries held no meaning to me now. Nothing would ever feel the same. I felt my body go numb with pain and closed my eyes willing myself to sleep.