~Chapter 29~

a/n: can we get to 80 comments? ilysm

Time stopped and I felt my heart drop to my feet. The air was icy and Andrew's words were the only thing that pierced through, creating a thick tension between us.

It was as if I couldn't breath, but I could at the same time. I felt like I was alive, yet my emotions disappeared. I felt like I was present, but my mind was in a trance.

Flashes of memories went through me, of Harry and I. Everything from when I first met him at the ceremony, to a few minutes ago, when he had me pressed against the wall while kissing my neck.

From the time that I first laid my eyes on him. His green eyes lit up in happiness and the dimples cratered into his cheeks, while he asked me about my bracelet. To the time when I felt his strong arms embrace my weak body when my aunt passed away. A few hours ago, when Harry had me trapped in his beautiful eyes, which were a complete separate world in their own, while he held me in the small space of his car.

All of those times that we touched and I felt a kind of rush go through me. I didn't know why I got that strange feeling in my stomach, around Harry. I didn't know why I felt so comfortable around him. I didn't know why it felt so good... so right when I was with him.

But now, it all made sense.

I was paired with Harry. I was paired with Harry. It sounded so weird. I just couldn't settle the thought within myself. It didn't seem like it was real. I was supposed to spend my life, with Harry.

"What?" Harry asked, his voice being the first to break the icy tension.

Andrew laughed sourly, and I couldn't help but look at Harry. Harry was already looking at me. His eyes were wide, confused almost. Those pink lips were pressed together. But from afar, I could read his features perfectly, only to find out that he was curious, almost as much as me. I could see his mind racing a hundred miles an hour.

"That's right. I switched your bracelets." Andrew turned towards May and I, with his hands in his pockets. "Surprised?"

"Why would you do that?" May asked, her voice filled with betrayal and hurt.

May had grown up with her father. Although I didn't know much about their relationship, I know that if my mum was in Andrew's spot, I wouldn't be able to forgive her.

"Because I wanted you," he pointed at May. "To be with the richer man, who was supposed to be Harry."

He continued and I felt myself grind my teeth in anticipation, and cross my arms to shelter myself from the cold and his bland words.

"Harry was supposed to be the rich one, because his father was richer than Zayn's." Andrew continued, "Alas, Harry couldn't do it and he isn't as rich as Zayn."

"Harry is handling his business so well," Zayn butted in. "We're barely different, financially."

"Every thousand counts, Zayn. Even if it's just a few thousand." Andrew whispered with a blasé expression. "And you shouldn't be talking."

"Oh, fûck off." Zayn laughed sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"Zayn knew about the bracelets and why they were switched." Andrew revealed, making my lips part in surprise.

Just like that, Zayn's loose demeanour changed again and he stiffened up, as we all looked at him. He paled a bit and pressed his lips together in a firm line.

"Is that true?" I uttered in shock, finally saying something.

Zayn refused to move, signalling to me that he knew. I felt my throat tighten up and my chest felt heavy. He knew. Zayn knew about the bracelets, but he didn't bother to tell anyone? Not even Harry?