~Chapter 35~

RISSA'S POV:

As I walked through the hallway to my apartment, I was fishing out my keys from my pocket, while trying to balance the grocery bags on my other arm.

I neared my apartment but my pace slowed down. In front of my apartment was a man. He was tall and his body seemed lean. He was very thin and wearing a black hoodie, with the hood up. As I got closer, I gripped the key tighter in my hand. I mentally thought of a plan to go through with if he was a thief.

I stepped closer and the man noticed me. He looked over at me and I let out a gasp as I took in his facial features.

He had a beard, and his hair was messy. His skin was pale and his lips were chapped. My heart broke when I took in his dull brown eyes, that had dark bags under them.

"Zayn?" I whispered, my eyebrows furrowed.

He smiled at me, "Rissa."

When I neared my door, he gave me a hug. I couldn't hug him back because of the groceries in my arms, but his scent was so familiar. His arms wrapped around me tightly, without any sort of hesitation present.

"Oh- uh sorry. Let me help you with that," he spoke quickly, taking a few bags from me.

I remained dazed, looking at him. There were so many questions that I wanted to ask him. How did he find my apartment? What happened to him? What happened to May?

I snapped out of it and unlocked my front door in a haze. We walked into the kitchen and we dropped the bags off before he looked at me.

"So, uh, hi. How are you?" He asked, trying to make everything seem normal.

"I'm good but Zayn-" He cut me off, because I think he sensed the questions coming.

"Wait Rissa," he paused, his whole stance seemed tired and worn out. I felt worried for him. "There's so much stuff I need to tell you about."

So we went and sat down. Zayn was jittery; his leg was bouncing up and down and his eyes darted around my living room.

"How are you?" Was the first thing he blurted out, which was quite random.

I sighed, feeling upset again. I missed Harry so much. I missed seeing his dimpled smile and his evergreen eyes that sparkled in adoration. His body was so warm against mine, whenever we would hug.

I guess I had zoned out because a few seconds later, Zayn was waving his hand in front of my face.

"Oh- uh, sorry, what did you say?" I stuttered.

"I asked how are you?" He said, eying me strangely.

"Do you want the truth or the normal answer?" I replied, pressing my lips together.

"The truth," he answered.

"Sad, upset, confused and happy. All at once." I admitted. He nodded and broke eye contact once again, his eyes landing on the ground.

"Why?" He responded, fiddling with his hands.

"Upset because so much has changed. Confused because there are so many things that I don't know the answers to. Happy because you're here," I smiled at him and he looked up at me, with a hint of a smile tracing his lips.

"And why are you sad?" Zayn asked innocently.

"Because," I paused, contemplating whether I should tell him about Harry. "Never mind."

"Tell me, Rissa," He spoke, and I shook my head, getting up.

"Do you want water or juice?" I asked, switching the subject hoping that be would let it go. Unfortunately, he didn't.

"Rissa, wait," he got up as well, and gently grabbed ahold of my wrist.

I looked at him, "What?"

"I know you're sad because of Harry," he said making me pause. "But you don't need to be sad."

I sighed deeply, trying not to cry. Just the sight of Zayn, was stressing me out and it took all of my willpower to not ask Zayn a hundred questions at once.

"Zayn, I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings but Harry and I had something going on. I don't know if you knew but we were just messing around the whole time and we were doing things that friends don't usually do. With him dying and everything, I don't know if I can handle anything else right now." I spoke quickly, as his hazel eyes widened at my words.

"See Rissa, that's the thing. I already knew that you two were talking and doing whatever you were doing." He replied, shocking me.

"Doesn't that make you angry?" I asked, thoroughly surprised.

"Not really. It's not like we were romantically linked anyways. But you don't have to worry Rissa," Zayn spoke making my heart race a bit faster. I braced myself for his words, my wrist still caught in his hand and my eyes still on his face.

"Why?" I whispered quietly.

"Because Harry is still alive and he wants to see you."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi guys I'm so sorry for not updating forever. Please believe me when I say that I am SWAMPED with stuff. School is crazy right now and exams are coming up, plus I made the field hockey team so I'm always busy after school, and I have work to go to. I have a busy life lately lol but don't worry because I promise I will finish this book!

So what do you think about Zayn showing up? What about Harry still being alive? How does you think Rissa is going to react?

I love you guys so much and thank you for reading.

~Maya. xox