~Prologue~

Barbara slipped the one-of-a-kind bracelet on Baby Rissa's tiny wrist. Rissa smiled up at Barbara from her spot in the small crib as her eyes twinkled in excitement. The baby gurgled some incoherent sounds as Barbara chuckled down at her.

"Goodness, you're going be quite a beautiful girl when you're older!" Barbara exclaimed, while staring into the baby's mesmerizing hazel eyes.

Barbara chuckled and turned around. She waddled over to the shelf which contained all of the special bracelets. She picked up the sheet which had random names sprawled across them.

"Rissa Esmond and Zayn Malik." She talked to herself as she grabbed a bracelet for Zayn, one that differenciated from Rissa's.

Just as she was walking over to the section of baby boys, a familiar man rushed into the room. The door slammed open as a rather flustered looking man stood in the doorway.

"Shhh!" Barbara hissed. "There's a room full of newborn children sleeping in here!" She scolded without looking at who stood in the doorway.

"Barbara!" The man exclaimed. "I need you to do something urgently!"

Barbara looked away from the shelf. Her eyes widened as she realized that a person, much superior than herself, was adressing her.

"M-Mr Eckhart! I'm so sorry about tha-" Barbara started rambling.

"Yeah, yeah. Listen, I need you to do something for me, right now," The man spoke with an urgency leaking through his words.

Barbara nodded furiously, "Yes! Sir, what do you need?"

"I need you to switch these bracelets!" He stated, passing Barbara a page with names.

Barbara's eyes widened, "B-but, sir, I am not authorized to switch bracelets. I am nothing but a worker who puts the Companion Bracelets on these children." She looked down, not meeting Eckhart's eyes. "You do know that these bracelets determine each of these young children's futures, right?"

Eckhart raised his eyebrows in surprise, for he did not expect such a dainty looking woman to speak up like that.

"Are you trying to tell me what's right and wrong, Barbara?" He spoke in an insanely calm tone.

She quickly looked up, "N-no sir! That's not what I mea-"

Eckhart cut her off by showing her his palm. She silenced herself and looked down in shame.

Then, the man started speaking in a low voice to the embarrassed woman.

"How about I make you a deal?" He whispered.

Barbara raised her eyebrows and looked up at the man as he moved closer to her.

"I-I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean." She stated as she took a step back.

"Here," the man shuffled his hand in the pocket of his silk coat. "I will give you this, if you switch the bracelets."

He dropped a big wad of cash into Barbara's small palm. Her eyes widened and her lips parted slightly at the sight. The wad of cash probably contained more money than she would earn in her entire life.

"I-I cannot, sir." She defended.

He sighed and shuffled around in his coat. He took another wad out, probably doubling the amount.

"Twenty thousand pounds if you do this little job for me," he spoke. "And maybe I can add something else to that amount."

Just then, his hand started trailing up Barbara's arm. She felt flustered and took a step back, only to be met with the wall.

"T-that will not be required," she spoke.

He groaned. "Fuck, Barbara!" He glared at the woman who was insanely red. "Take the money and do the job or else something will happen to your beloved Johnny."

Barbara's eyes widened. She thought about her insanely sick son. She can't have anything happen to her son. No, she won't let anything happen.

"A-alright," she stuttered. "I'll do it."

Eckhart grinned in satisfaction. "Great. Here's the money, here's the sheet." He passed her the items as she took them with trembling hands.

Her eyes scanned the page as Eckhart spoke again.

"No one should find out about this, absolutely no one." He ordered darkly.

Barbara nodded her head as the insane man turned around and made his way out the door. She let out a sigh of relief as she gripped the items in her dainty hands, placing them in the pocket of her dress.

"I'm so sorry Rissa." She spoke quietly as she switched the bracelets.

~

A/N: Hi everyone! Please vote and comment! I hope you will like this book, I have BIG ideas for it. Keep reading!

-Maya xox