9

"Mama? What you doin' hea'?"

"How have you been? You look good." She stepped closer ta me placing her hands on my cheeks.

"I been livin'." I haven't seen my mama since last year and it's damn near Decemba. "What you doin' hea?" I repeated.

"August, I know I haven't been around—."

"Yeah you haven't, so why na?" I cut ha off shakin' my head. I'd had a long day, all I wanted ta do was chill with my family.

"August, sit down. Please." She pleaded ta me and I reluctantly sat down on tha bed next ta ha.

"Why are you here?" I held my tongue fa tha moment on what I really wanna say.

"I heard what you said about me on that interview. If you felt like that why didn't you speak to me on it?" She said and I sighed in disbelief.

"You neva wanted ta respond ta me; call text or anythang, believe me I tried."

She ain't say anythang so I continued, "I never meant ta make you or anybody else feel like damn, it's like that na, but when it come ta me, tha one who payin fa that Benz you ridin' round in, it's like I'm dead ta you!" I said blowin' up at ha.

"It's crazy how the one who taught me to love, don't even act like she love me half the time." I shook my head.

"August I'm still ya mama, did you forget?" She said standin' ova me, causin' me ta stand too, makin' me taller than ha again.

"How could I? You don't be 'round ta be a good--"

Before I could get tha rest of tha sentence out my mouth, she smacked me upside my head.

"August, I dare you ta finish that sentence! Do it." She waited on my answer but before I could open my mouth, Maw Maw barged back inta tha room.

"Aight na! Y'all up in hea yellin' and smackin' each other, y'all gots ta stop!" She raised her voice between tha two of us.

Ta see my Maw Maw all fed up like that was sum' serious. She was all smiles and N'awlins sunshine so you know it was bad if you made ha yell.

"Na Sheila, you know you got kids! Why you ain't check up on tha boy! Travis, Jamal and 'nem too! You kno' what he goin' thru! Surgeries, at doctas and everythang. All them calls from him ain't tell you nun? Maw fussed at ha. I wanted ta know tha answa just as bad as she did.

"You got all big, so fast August. You didn't need me anymore." She confessed leavin' me in disbelief once again.

"The fuck you talkin' 'bout I ain't need you anymo'?" I said not thankin', gettin' a punch on my arm from Maw Maw. "My bad, Maw." I said ta ha befo' continuing, "Mama, ima always need you, no matta what. Who tol' you that bullshit?" I asked not gettin' a ansa.

I already knew who tol' ha by how she was actin'. God rest his soul, but he ain't hadda place ta say that shit. "It was tha crack head nigga who s'pose ta be my 'step pops' won't it?" I eyed ha, waitin' fa a ansa. Again, she ain't say shit.

"Sheila, is that true?" Maw Maw said puttin' ha hands onna hips, ready ta throw sum facts. "You know damn well that ain't true. Ain't no man supposed ta tell you what ya kids need and don't need unless he is they daddy and in they life. You know betta than that."

"August outchea gridin' ta keep you and everyone else off tha streets and you outchea picking sides? If he ain't want shit ta do wit ya, ya ass would be out on tha streets like you did him when he was a lil boy!" Maw Maw did have a point, but I won't put my mom's out on tha street like that.