17.2

Cydney Michaels

"Oh, what to wear," I mumbled aloud while standing in the entryway of my closet.

Since tonight I would be having dinner with August's mom and his sister-in-law? I guess I would call her, I felt as if I needed to impress. Not much, just enough for them to say 'hey she's a keeper'. The fact that I looked up the restaurant we'd be going to, help me a little more. It was somewhat upscale, but there was no need for me to look casket sharp. Sophisticated was the word I was looking for.

I went for a black sweater since the weather settled on cold as hell today, and a pair of light wash high waisted jeans.

Happy with what I picked, I stood front of my large bathroom mirror, questioning what to do with my hair. It was doing that thing I sometimes liked when it was curly, and along the separate strands somewhere, it would be straight as a bone. This is what God gives me for straightening my hair all the time: heat damage.

Picking up my brush and gel, I brushed my hair to the top of my head into a neat bun, picking out my edges to lay. Satisfied with the final look, I went to do my make up.

A mocha colored matte lipstick would look so good on my lips tonight, so that's what I added plus a small amount of eyeshadow creating a smokey eye following by my winged eyeliner and mascara. Of course my eyebrows were fleeked to the point of no return.

I snapped a few pictures, posting one of them before I received a text from a random number.

404-662-2469: Hey it's Chandra, pulling into your place in a few minutes. We're in a all white Mercedes.

Saving the number, I replied a simple 'okay' and put a pep in my step.

Slipping on my black heeled booties and grabbing my wristlet, I made my way to the front door, taking one of my coats from the closet.

"Where are you going?" I heard behind me. Turning around I was looking back at my mother who sat on the sofa, cuddled up in a blanket with a bowl of popcorn.

"I'm going out to dinner with some friends. I'll be back in a few hours." I said not really wanting to keep them waiting.

"Okay," She said quietly. I could tell she wanted to talk to me more but decided against it.

Before I could start to feel bad, I told her a quick goodbye and headed out the door, locking it behind me. As soon as I made it to the lobby, I could see the white Mercedes pull into a parking spot so I sped up a little.

"Hi," I greeted the both of them once I got into the backseat.

I received a warm smile from the both of them along with a 'hey, how ya doin'?' type thing as I buckled my seatbelt.

"It's nice to finally meet you," Sheila said turning around in her seat to make eye contact. "I always seem to miss you whenever you're at August's place but I see you all over the 'gram."

I slightly giggled at her use of internet slang, before nodding to her words, "Same to you."

"Mama, what I tell you 'bout sayin' that? It don't sound normal coming out your mouth!" Chandra politely scolded her as she pulled off onto the main road.

"Girl, if you don't be quiet. I say what I want." She said towards her, before looking at me. "Sorry about her." She rolled her eyes while Chandra did the same.

I began pulling out my phone to text August that I was with them already, but as soon as I opened the message thread with him, I got a text.

Big Daddy Aug: How's it goin' big head?