Lionel Messi [~] Copa America Centenario

Lionel Messi

For Castiels_Pancake:

You and Leo had been best friends since for as long as you could remember. He was your best friend from the moment the two of you met. He was a year older than you but that didn't stop the two of you from going on several adventures in Rosario together in your younger years. Leo had always had a way with the ball and you would watch every single one of his games your parents would get you too. You had been heart broken when he had to move to Spain for treatment. You hadn't wanted your best friend to leave you, but neither of you had a say in the matter.

Years passed and the amount of contact the two of you had dwindled towards nearly nothing. That is, until you ran into his mother. You had been out and walking around Buenos Aires when you had accidently met up with Celia. She offered to take you out to lunch and you had of course accepted. The two of you had talked about your life and she brought up Leo into the conversation. You asked how he had been and Celia mentioned the Copa America Centenario.

She offered to bring you with her to America as she went to go one and cheer for Leo. You accepted her offer and before you knew it you were sitting and watching Leo play his heart out for their home country. Argentina won the game and Celia led you down to the family room where you waited to see your best friend after years of separation.

He walked into the room not too much later. You stared at him as his eyes locked with your own. He had grown in height and through muscles. His hair was tousled from playing in the summer heat and sweat was clinging to his face. He had grown a scruffy beard for the occasion, but yet he seemed to be the same old Leo you had refused to let go of at the airport before he flew to Barcelona and started his life and career there.

He made his way towards you and Celia and you suddenly grew nervous. You were worried that he wouldn't recognize you, or that he would think you were in desperate need of money or fame if you were contacting him now and in this way after so many years with no contact between the two of you. He greeted his mother first before turning to look at you. "(Y/N)? Is that really you?" he asked, a small smile beginning to form.

You smiled and nodded. "Long time no see, Leo," you stated before Leo pulled you into a hug.

"What are you doing here? I would have thought you'd be in Argentina right now."

"I bumped into your mother a couple weeks ago and she invited me to come so I did," you explained as the two of you broke out of the hug. Leo had a couple days off and the coaches wanted to rest him, so he did minimal training and wasn't going to play in the next match. Taking advantage of his free time, the two of you went out to lunch one day to catch up. You grew close with Leo again and it was as if he had never left Argentina all those years ago. Argentina progressed easily to the final against Chile.

You grew nervous as the regular time ended, worried that what had happened the year before would happen again. Extra time ended and penalties were set to start. You watched Leo place the ball before running forwards to kick it. Your heart broke as the ball didn't enter the net and Leo ran hands through his hair in frustration. You felt tears prick your eyes as Chile started to celebrate. Chile had won once again. Suppressing the tears, you waited in the tunnel with Celia. The security guards said that you could go out. Looking to Celia, she nodded and urged you to go comfort her son.

Walking out of the tunnel, your Messi jersey on your back, you walked past the Chilean celebration and towards Leo. He sat on the bench, his expression one of a broken man. Your heart broke even more staring at him. Walking forwards, you sat next to him. Not saying anything, you grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly. You could see the tears leaking from his eyes and you wiped them away. You knew that words wouldn't help him, you just had to be there for him. After they got their second place medals, Leo glared up at the platform where the trophy was sitting.

Kicking the bench angrily, Leo started cursing. Staring sadly at your best friend, you walked forwards slowly and grabbed his wrist. His head snapped towards your own, anger in his eyes. You stared up at him sadly before pulling him towards you. You wrapped your arms around him and squeezed him in a tight hug. He was breathing heavily from his anger but it slowly dissipated and he clutched onto you as if you were the only thing keeping him standing at this point.

You could feel his tears on your shirt, causing you to squeeze him harder, rubbing his back as he cried. He pulled himself together long enough for you to lead him off the field. Celia stood there and came to embrace her son. Leo, however, refused to let go of your hand, much to your surprise. The three of you left the stadium. Celia headed towards your shared hotel room while Leo stood awkwardly in the lobby, refusing to let go of your hand.

Staring up at him sadly, you let him pull you lightly towards his room instead. He opened the door, having to let go of your hand for a few brief moments to get the room key out of his wallet. Opening the door, Leo's hand quickly shot towards yours once again. The two of you didn't say anything, you just laid on his bed together. You hugged him tightly, wishing that there was something you could do to bring back the smile you adored so much on him.

Kissing his head, you shed a tear of your own before he fell asleep in your arms. You followed suit and before you knew it, it was morning. Leo was still clutching tightly to you and you sighed as you saw the dried tear tracks on his face. Your movement woke up Leo unintentionally and you stared at your best friend sadly.

"Please," Leo let out finally, "don't leave me," he said, vulnerability seeping into his voice. "I can't go through leaving you behind again. I can't," he choked out.

"I'll stay for as long as you need, Leo. Whenever, wherever you need me, I'll be there for you," you promised, combing his hair with your fingers. He pressed a kiss to your forehead before pulling you tightly to his chest once more.