Antoine Griezmann [~] Five Year Anniversary

Antoine Griezmann

For MaleenMalik:

Maleen smoothed out her dress as she stared at herself in the mirror. It was her fifth anniversary with the only man who had ever completely stolen her heart, Antoine Griezmann, and she wanted to look perfect for their anniversary date. Pulling out some jewelry from her box, Maleen picked out which pieces she wanted to wear when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist. Smiling softly, Maleen leaned back and looked up at her boyfriend. Pressing a kiss to his cheek, Maleen picked out the earrings he had bought her for her birthday a few years ago and put them in.

"All ready to go?" Antoine asked.

"Yes," Maleen replied, after grabbing her purse from the bed. Holding hands, the couple walked out of their shared home and to Antoine's car. They drove towards where they had first met: a small, quaint park on the outskirts of Madrid. Antoine had just moved to Madrid only a few weeks ago when he had quite literally run into Maleen. She had immediately started to talk in the regional dialect that Antoine was not fluent in, leaving the Frenchman confused until she switched to peninsular Spanish.

The two had talked for a little bit and had exchanged numbers and before either of them knew it, they were dating. Every anniversary, they would go back to that same park and sit and have a picnic together. Maleen smiled as their familiar spot appeared in her view. Antoine swung the picnic basket in one hand, his other clutched tightly to Maleen's and he silently hoped and prayed that she wouldn't notice how sweaty his palms were.

It wasn't hot in Madrid that day and yet Antoine was sweating as much as a marathon runner in a desert setting. The small box that lay in his pants pocket felt like a boulder and Antoine thought he would pass out from the anxiety before he would actually be able to properly ask Maleen to marry him. After five years, Antoine was completely certain that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Maleen by his side. He was completely certain that one day he would want to see her holding their child. He knew that Maleen loved him just as much as he loved her but he couldn't help be nervous and think of every possible thing that could possibly go wrong that night.

Maleen was unaware of her long term boyfriend's plight as she unfolded the blanket and set it out on the ground. Antoine placed the picnic basket down on the blanket as the two sat down and started to unpack the picnic basket. Pulling out the plates, both started to talk and eat, being completely comfortable with each other. Maleen laughed at one of the jokes Antoine had said, causing the Frenchman to decide that this moment would be perfect for him to finally pop the question.

"Maleen?" Antoine asked, "Could you possibly go back to the car and grab the wine opener? I think I left it there."

"Yeah sure," Maleen replied casually, getting up and grabbing Antoine's keys from the blanket before walking down the pathway none the wiser of what Antoine would do when she finally returned. Standing up, Antoine hid behind one of the trees and waited for Maleen to come back with the wine opener he had purposefully left in the car to create the moment. Hearing the clicking of Maleen's heels growing louder and louder, Antoine hoped she wouldn't be able to hear his heart pounding in his chest as he continued to hide behind the tree. Waiting for her to walk past him, Antoine slipped out from behind the tree and started to follow silently behind her.

"Antoine?" Maleen called as she returned to their spot. Antoine walked close to her before dropping to one knee and waiting for her to turn around. Maleen did so a few seconds later, looking for her boyfriend. Spotting Antoine down on one knee, Maleen's eyes widened. "Antoine?" Maleen asked quietly, staring at her boyfriend in wonder.

Gulping down the fear that was starting to bud in his chest, Antoine started to speak. "Maleen, we've been dating for five years now and it's been the best five years of my life. You've always supported me in everything that I've done, whether I've lost or won, scored or not, and injured or not. You're the love of my life and I can't put it into words how much I love you, Maleen. I want to spend the rest of my life together with you, as husband and wife. So, if you'd do me the honor," Antoine trailed off, taking the box out of his pocket and popping it open to reveal the diamond ring he had debated buying for nearly two months until his teammates threatened to buy the ring for him. "Maleen, will you marry me?" Antoine asked, lifting the box towards Maleen.

Maleen gaped at him and Antoine started to sweat even more until Maleen started to nod her head, tears of happiness raining down her cheeks. "Yes," she finally choked out, emotion laden in her words. "Of course I'll marry you, Antoine." That was all it took for Antoine to stand up and swing Maleen around, causing her to smile and laugh. Setting her on the ground, Antoine tangled his fingers in her hair before he pulled her towards himself and into a passionate kiss.

Maleen cupped his cheek as he pulled her closer to himself. Pulling away, breathless, the two rested their foreheads against each other, both smiling like everything was perfect with the world. Taking the ring out of the box, Antoine carefully slid it onto Maleen's ring finger. "It's perfect," Maleen commented, admiring her diamond ring in the moonlight.

"Not nearly as perfect as you," Antoine replied, pressing a kiss to her forehead, causing her to blush.

"Oh, you're just saying that to get me to blush like a little school girl," Maleen smiled, slapping Antoine's chest playfully, causing him to chuckle. "I love you, Antoine."

"I love you too, Maleen," Antoine replied, swooping down to steal another kiss from his longtime girlfriend turned fiancé with only the moon as their witness.