Raphaël Varane [~] Fairy Tale

A.N. This was suggested by kcpuggles like a month ago but I was not able/in the mood to write for a while because the recent pandemic threw my life completely off track in the span of a week. My heart goes out to all those personally affected by the pandemic and out of respect and frankly human decency, I will not write anything related to COVID-19 even if it is a suggestion. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

It was a quiet day in Madrid as you sorted through the old books in the back of your family bookstore. Your grandmother had insisted that the books be rearranged by next week as tourism would be picking up soon. Huffing to yourself, you stood up straight and brushed the dust off your hands and walked out to the front of the store. Writing a list of the things you had left to do, you looked up as the bell on the door rang, signaling a customer. Glancing up, you spotted a rather tall man walking in from the street. Admittedly, he was rather attractive, especially in comparison to the usual customers. "Can I help you?" you called, setting your list to the side.

"Uh . . . yeah, I suppose," he spoke, glancing around the shop. "This is a bookshop?"

"Yeah, it is. Mostly used books, but a few new ones," you replied, moving stacks of books on the counter. "Are you looking for anything specific?"

"Not really, I just—" the man continued as the door was roughly shoved open and your nephews ran through, the youngest bumping into the man.

"Wow, you're—" your nephew started to say, but your scolding cut him off.

"—What did I tell you two about running into the store like that? Now apologize and go help Abuelita with whatever she's doing," you huffed, crossing your arms over your chest. Your nephews muttered apologies, slightly starstruck as they walked upstairs to the apartment you shared. "Sorry about them, they have too much energy," you chuckled, returning to sorting the books left on the counter.

"Not a problem," the man laughed off. "Your sons remind me of myself when I was their age."

"Thank you, but they're my nephews, not my sons," you smiled as the man's eyes widened a fractional amount.

"Oh," he replied, tilting his head to the side slightly. "Sorry—"

"—You're hardly the first," you assured him, setting another stack of books down. "Oh, and what were you looking for again?"

"Nothing special. I have a friend who really likes novellas and I was hoping to find a few for their birthday," the man stated as you walked out from around the counter, a few books coming to mind.

"Well, I could give you a few general suggestions. Do you know what type of novellas your friend likes?" you asked, walking down one of the aisles, thinking to yourself.

"Not really, no," he smiled sheepishly, causing you to smile back.

"It's not a problem, I'm sure we can still find something," you responded, stepping up on one of the stools lining the aisles. "What about this one? It's about how a prince falls in love with the poor street beggar who stole his horse from him," you suggested, pulling a book off the shelf. The man held out his hand for the book and read the description as you continued walking on.

"This one's about a woman who kills her abusive husband and runs off with the detective," you suggested, grabbing another book off the shelf. Pulling off other books you personally enjoyed, you turned and looked back at the man, who was struggling to hold all the suggestions you made. "Oh, sorry, got a little carried away," you blushed, grabbing a few books back from him. "Well, did any of them sound interesting to you?"