It was the scream queen's fault

Alpha- head of the pack of wolves Beta- his second in command

Beta- his second in command

----------------------------------

Amelia was exhausted. But then again, when was Amelia Faye not exhausted? It was two in the morning and she had spent the last four hours patrolling the pack borders... now she wanted to stab someone in the eye.

Why do I have to do this? She thought. Surely they could've found some other incompetent idiot. I'm the beta's first daughter, for Heaven's sake! There are more important duties they could've given me. Sure there was that one time I set the barbecue grill on fire, or the time I accidentally-on-purpose pushed the alpha's daughter into the lake because she was being a bitch, but she survived! I seriously don't understand why everyone's being so dramatic. I am definitely a role model.

Everyone who usually did border control left to visit a neighboring pack, and they were making poor, sweet, innocent, easily agitated Amelia make the rounds. Which by the way, if you hadn't already noticed, she found really unfair.

Amelia would have continued her pity party if she hadn't been so rudely interrupted by the sound of loud snarls.

'Oh shit', she mentally cursed as her body jumped back, a responsible pack member would go investigate the situation.

She moved branches to get a closer look but as soon as the growls got even louder, she decided she very much preferred being alive with all her limbs intact over being responsible.

But she was too late, the strangers had seemed to already pick up her scent and were heading towards her.

Oh man, what should I do? Should I run? Would they catch me? Do I play dead? But there was one thing Amelia did know and that was standing there like a deer caught in headlights wasn't going to help her (mostly because her kind ate deer caught in headlights) so Amelia ran, she ran like a cheetah, she ran like her little sister ran when someone asked where all the ice cream had gone.

The rude strangers who apparently had taken an unwanted interest in her, chased her. She heard the sound of heavy, angry footsteps hit the ground. She didn't know what they looked like or why they were chasing her because she wasn't going to try and turn around to look- she wasn't a moron. Everyone knew that character was always the first one to get knocked out by a tree branch and eaten, duh.

She had seen her fair share of horror movies.

She was eighteen, faster and stronger than humans but hadn't been blessed with the werewolf shape shifting gene as it was quite rare nowadays in females, especially in her pack.

Although she hardly counted breaking all your bones to turn into a bloody fur ball blessed. Needless to say when her sixteenth birthday arrived and she didn't turn into a wolf, she wasn't too broken hearted. Her parents although, they were another story. But there was one thing Amelia was good at- coming up with strategies.

She was aware her pack, Silver Moon, was small but well hidden deep in the forest and she had no intention of leading these beasts to it. Amelia knew she had to lose them so she focused until she mapped the entire forest in her head, she knew where every cave, stream and cliff lay.

Another one of the reasons she sometimes did border control, unlike most men- she didn't get lost.

Amelia quickly headed towards the east because it was most densely populated with trees, easy for her to maneuver through but difficult for the wolves without getting their heads slammed into them.

She jumped over ditches, dodged tree barks, and slid through slippery mud until she made it. The sound of the angry howls and hungry wolves keeping her feet motivated. She now allowed herself to look back and saw two full sized dark brown wolves, clearly struggling to keep up speed while knocking into everything around them.

Good she thought, now for the final blow. Amelia took off her socks, she took off her sweater and hid them in some bushes to spread her scent and try to confuse the wolves.

She then picked up some leaves covered in thick layers of dirt and begrudgingly rubbed it all over her arms and neck to try and mask her scent. After that, she ran in the opposite direction, with great speed and agility climbed the highest tree she could locate and hid in the safety of its branches.

She stayed there for what seemed like hours but was only a few minutes, hoping the wolves had given up and left. There were a few things in this world she hated less than waiting.

Soon she heard a bloodcurdling scream. It sounded like it belonged to a teenage boy not far from here. Amelia contemplated what to do but decided to stay put, it was the smart decision, after all-what could Amelia have done to help him?

Unfortunately for her, the teenage scream queen didn't let her rest in peace and insisted on reminding her guilty conscious she was sitting in a tree like a frightened cat while someone was potentially getting murdered.

'You could just let him die.' the evil voice in her head taunted but she shut it up.

'Last time you told me to push the Alpha's daughter into a lake and that would solve all my problems!' Amelia scowled, like any normal person replies to the voices in their head. She had to do something to help the boy in trouble.

'If you get off this tree, they're going to cut you into pieces, shove you in a garbage bag and throw you in a river.' The voice mused.

"I've always wanted a grand send off," Amelia muttered, covering her ears while she tried to think of a plan.

She had never told the people around her about it, in light of her parents' warnings, telling her it would bring her more trouble than it's worth but this morbid little voice was getting out of control!

The thought of her stalkers and reasons they might have to be on Silver Moon territory immediately made her stomach drop and food come up.
This was not an accident. These wolves were up to something and she would be damned before she let them hurt her family.

'you die- I die, sweetheart.' the voice hummed.

"Sounds like a bargain," Amelia curled her lips slightly. She could not ignore the helpless yelps of terror that tainted the air, so choosing to listen to the boy's screams over the strange voice that manifested itself when she felt most alone, she started slipping off the branch.

She always told herself she was raised to fight. She would not let these wolves shed blood on her territory.

Amelia may have been a lot of things- snarky, lazy, overconfident, arrogant, a good swimmer- but she was not a coward.

'Let him die! Let him die!' The voice religiously chanted but she continued climbing downwards.

'You're being an idiot!'

but she greeted it with silence.

Her foot touched the ground and she stepped on a twig that broke with a crunch, before she could take two steps, in a flash she was surrounded by six wolves. Amelia took a deep breath, preparing herself for what she expected was yet to come.

'Do you want your remains cremated or would a hole in the ground do?'

----------------------------------