The third silver rod

Bleak December - set it off---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

Oh great!
Maybe the crocodile that was chasing me could show up and eat her now Amelia beamed.

She heard the footsteps get louder as Iris approached the cave she was in and stepped inside. Amelia expected to see Iris looking all fierce and untouched. She expected Iris to take one look at her exhausted state and start laughing.

She heard the person push off vines covering the entrance and soon Iris was standing there with tangled messy red hair, scratches and a ripped off sleeve, holding a shiny, metallic rod in her hand. They both stayed silent for a moment, taking each other's appearance in.

"Wild bears," Iris explained taking a seat in the opposite end of the cave.

"Crocodile," Amelia answered back with a small smile on her face that broke into laughter. Iris soon joined her. To anyone looking at them from the outside, they would've looked like two animalistic, bloodied girls who seemed to have gone crazy. But looking at each other's sorry state and irritated at the Alpha, they seemed to have formed some sort of a bond. Happy that the other was just as miserable as they were.

"I found the rod in the east, you headed west and found one," Amelia said.

"And the pack's in the south, so looks like we'll both be heading north for rod number three," Iris continued with a chuckle. "Guess we get to spar after all."

"Oh god...I can't remember the last time I went to sleep," Amelia recalled.

"I'm pretty sure I'm much more exhausted than you," the red head stated.

"And im pretty sure that's a lie," Amelia argued "I was kidnapped by your pack and have been bouncing back and forth ever since."

"Yeah, but I kidnapped three rogues yesterday and spent the entire night interrogating them!"

"Being kidnapped is way more stressful!" Amelia yelled.

"Do you know how much effort and time it takes to kidnap someone?!" Iris insisted.

"No, no I don't. Do you know why? BECAUSE WE DONT GO AROUND KIDNAPPING PEOPLE, FROM WHERE I COME FROM."

"Really? Sounds rather dull," Iris said drily, trying to get the dirt out of her nails "we have to leave soon or the stalkers the Alpha hired to follow us will come inside to make sure no one's dead."

"Do they even know where we are?" Amelia inquired.

"Yes, they've been watching and reporting everything to the Alpha."

"I knew that bush was laughing at me when I tripped!" Amelia exclaimed while Iris shook her head in disappointment as she stood up, getting ready to leave.

"You know I'm going to win this right? I was born to be a Luna," Iris challenged.

"That's not what the bruises on your face tell me," Amelia said sticking out her tongue and sprinting north.

They both ran as fast as their injured bodies could take them, side to side, trying to out run the other. They looked through all the bushes, caves, in fallen logs, Iris even walked through a stream trying to find it.

Amelia had found a piece of a shattered mirror lying around and grabbed it while Iris laughed at her for getting so easily distracted. They kept a large enough distance from each other and they found nothing.

"Iris, where did you find your rod?" Amelia asked quickly, as she ran towards her, staring at something for a little too long.

"I'm not helping you wi-"

"We're both going to have to fight it out eventually but we need to find the rod first and this forest is massive."

Iris looked at her skeptically then answered "in a bear cave around barren land."

Amelia wanted to ask her how she just happened to wander into a bear cave but decided not to when she remembered throwing pebbles at a crocodile.

"I found mine near water, you found yours in a cave on dry land, there are three different land marks in this forest, leaving only one left! so the next place is obviously up high- it has to be on a mountain, since there are no mountain, one of the trees," she exclaimed, making up bullshit quickly and confidently.

"And what better one than the highest of them all," Iris said looking at the tallest tree almost half a kilometer ahead of them. Amelia was Isaac's mate and had the best chance of figuring out what went on in his twisted head, Iris thought.

Amelia dashed towards it and Iris followed, without thinking, not wanting to be left behind.

--------------------------------