Chapter 1 Leaving

2 Days Ago

     I smiled down at my niece as my step-father came in looking enraged. I ignored him as he tapped his foot, continuing to make faces at the baby until he finally, he spoke, "What the fuck do you think you're doing out here? It's almost 10. All lights go out in this house after 10."

     I rolled my eyes before responding, "The key word is almost , and I'm 21, I think I can handle getting to bed on my own. I'm just watching her until her mom is done in the bathroom anyways."

     Despite the calm in my voice I looked up at him with my wolf in my eyes. He back off mumbling under his breath as he walked away. I shook my head at his behavior as I walked to my room to put the baby down for the night. I watched her calm face as she slept until I heard my sister get out of the shower and walk to the kitchen. As I walked that way I heard he talking to our step-dad.

     "Hey, what was all of that yelling about? "

     I moved closer to the door so I could hear better. "Ask the bitch in the back room. "

     I saw red with anger. I felt the prick of tears not because I was sad but because I was so angry. it's the most frustrating thing. People think they are hurting my feelings but in reality I'm just trying not to tear their faces off.

     I heard my sister say, "Your such an asshole."

     I yelped as the door swung open accidentally connecting with me. Kayla took in my tears and pulled me into her arms. All of a sudden something broke in me and I cried harder than I ever had before. All of the hurt and anger came out with these tears. As they slowed down and subsided into hiccups and I felt numb. This may have seemed small but I dealt with things like this on the daily and this was just the thing that finally broke me.

     "I just can't can't do this anymore, I have to think about my own happiness. I haven't found my mate here and I'm tired of constantly getting torn down by him. "

     "I don't blame you, Kearstin, but promise you will tell Mom before you leave."

     I nodded, "I promise."

     Things with my mom were complicated. I loved my mom and she was always my best friend, but in recent years she had found more and more excuses to cover the way her husband is. She had left at one point when I was a teenager but a week later we were back with promises that things would change. Spoiler alert, they didn't. I understand why she does it but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I would never ask her to leave him but at the same time she cant expect me to stay in a situation like this. Even if he in some weird way made her happy, I wasn't, and I deserved happiness too.

     That night when my step-dad had gone to bed for the night I quietly went out to the living room to wait for my mom. I hoped she would understand but I was prepared for the worst. She walked in a little after 12 looking exhausted. She set down her purse and turned on the light.

     When her eyes landed on as she was kicking off her shoes and placing them on the rack. "What happened this time?"

     I avoided her eyes not wanting to see the hurt. "I'm leaving mom. I'm asking Alpha James if he will release me of all ties to this pack and transfer me to Cody's pack if he will accept me. It isn't just one thing Mom. It's an accumulation of a lot of stuff. I just need to start living my own life and I think the best way is to just start some where new "

     We sat in silence for a while before she looked at me with sad eyes, "I understand. I wish you didn't feel this way but I get it and I understand why you have to go. I hope you find everything you are searching for"