Chapter 38 The Last Leaf

Jason POV

     I reached for Kearstin's face as I saw her tears but she just smacked my hand away with a hurt look.

     "Don't you fucking touch me!" She said this as she quickly turned and walked away from me.

     I went to the door calling her name, but she just ignored me and kept walking. I had been neglecting my mate and I was stressed to the max, but when she came for some comfort I took out my stress on her. I rubbed a hand over my face and plopped back down in my office chair. Going after her right now wouldn't do any good. She was upset with me and I deserved it. She was right, the sex was meant to be punishing, not loving. I was just stressed and annoyed and I wanted her to understand that. I should have just talked to her about it. She needed sometime to cool off and I would apologize after she had some time.

     I looked up as my phone started ringing and I picked it up, "Alpha, the last leaf fell off the tree."

     "Understood, start gathering everyone in the field. I will be along shortly."

     I was happy to find that even when she was mad she had not put up her mental block against me. 

     Kearstin, the last leaf fell. Gather with everyone on the field.

     Yes Alpha.

     I winced at the use of that word. She was really mad if she was calling me Alpha. I went around the house and gathered any stragglers before heading out to meet everyone at the field. The fight was coming soon and we needed to be prepared. 

Kearstin POV

     I felt a push in my mind and paused holding my hand to my training partner to stop. 

     Kearstin, the last leaf fell. Gather with everyone on the field.

     I was still mad at him so I simply replied, Yes Alpha.

     As I sent him the mind link I yelled so everyone could hear me, "Everyone gather around! we have word that they are coming soon! Everyone gather together. We don't know their numbers so we need to stay together as a group as we wait for the rest of the warriors and Darrin and his army."

     Everyone quickly gathered as the few stragglers that weren't on the field started filing in. At the end of all of them Jason came forward to stand next to me. He had his eyes on me but I was focusing on making sure everyone was prepared. I couldn't let our problems influence how I approached this situation. I looked around the field at the mixture of peoples, witches with their odd colored eyes the wolfs that were barley clothed and the vampires that were only identified by the smell of blood that always seemed to linger around them. I couldn't even count how many of us there were at this point, all I can do is hope this will be enough. 

     Loud growls could be heard as a group stepped out of the woods and made their way towards us. I felt Jason's hand around mine and I looked up at him as he nodded at me. We kept our hands joined as we walked forward to meet Darrin and the three women with him who I assumed were the witches he had taken. There was a larger group that had stopped at the edge of the woods but only Darrin and the three had walked forward to meet us. 

     I stood looking at Darrin for a moment before I spoke, "Do you really want to do this Darrin? We will kill all of you. As you can see out numbers are far greater than yours."

     He gave me a cocky smile before he spoke, "I'm going to give you two options. Give up and admit I am the true alpha, or we fight and may the better man win, and I am the better man."

     I looked at Jason as he scoffed, "The better man would never take what wasn't his. I bet you didn't tell your little followers the truth. I bet if I told them then a lot of them might change sides."

     The smile faded off his face, "You assume I had to convince them. Most of them have their reasons and they just happened to align with mine. Do you really want to risk the death of those in your pack? We can end this right now if you just give up."

     Jason laughed, "You expect me to believe you would let me live?"

     Darrin smiled, "Of course not, but I would let your pack your mate and your child live."

     I let out a growl, "There is no way we are giving up and I will kill you Darrin."

     Darrin's eyes landed on me, "Poor little wolf. I will play with you later, don't worry."

     This time Jason growled as he pulled me closer to his side. "Tell me Darrin, what pisses you off more? The fact that we killed your mate, or that you aimed to ruin me and I'm still standing here perfectly happy with my own mate?" 

     His smile faded again, "Don't you ever fucking talk about her. You took her away from me. You brought all of this on yourselves."

     Jason spoke, "We aren't going to get anywhere this way. Lets get this going and let the best man win."

     As we had been speaking our people had slowly but surly been creeping forward behind us. At these words they all charged forward for the enemies as Darrin the coward ran behind all of his people to where he thought he was safe. Jason and I nodded at each other as we ran forward with our people. In this moment nothing else mattered but protecting our pack and family.