Chapter 30 Time

Kearstin POV

     I looked at my fingers picking them as I waited for Jason and the doctor to finish talking as I stood near the exit. I was ready to get away from this place. I jumped as I felt a hand on the small of my back and looked up seeing the concerned look on Jason's face. I gave him a small smile and pulled away to walk to the car. He let his arm fall as we walked in silence to the SUV that was still parked haphazardly outside the hospital doors. He held my door open and made sure I was in before he ran to his side and climbed in. We were silent but I could feel his eyes darting between me and the road as he drove. I watched the horizon as the sun was just starting to come into the sky. I watched the orange and cream colors going across the sky before, finally, the pack house came into view. 

     He put the car into park and sat there in silence for a long time before turning to me. "What can I do?"

     I looked right into his blue eyes, full of desperation, as he studied me. "Just give me time. I know I'm strong, but something like this is enough to break the strongest person. It took me time the first time and it will take me time again."

     Realization settled in his eyes, "I'm so sorry Kearstin. Take all the time you need. Just know I'm always here for you."

     I stretched my mouth in the semblance of a smile and reached out and squeezed his hand quickly before letting go. "You should go get some sleep. I'm going to go take a shower in the baby's room and then spend some time with her." 

     He looked like he wanted to object but just said, "I'll send one of my female warriors up to sit with you." I started to protest, but he held up a hand, "You will be guarded until the threat is dealt with. We don't know when or where this will happen."

     I fell silent realizing he was right. I just nodded and stepped out of the SUV heading for the nursery. As I stepped into the room there was already a female warrior standing in front of the window that had already somehow been replaced and there was Jason's mom on her feet bouncing the baby as she patted her back. I smiled as I heard a very loud burp come out of my daughter. She gave me a genuine smile as she turned around and saw me. I could see the pity in her eyes but I ignored it as I held out my arms for my daughter. I didn't need another person telling me how sorry they are for me, it doesn't change anything.

     She handed her over to me, "Well mom, she has been fed burped and changed. She didn't sleep much last night so she should go down anytime now."

     I smiled and thanked her as I took Ari in my arms. She smiled and let out a gurgle before letting out a huge yawn and stuffing her thumb in her mouth. I peppered small kisses along her nose as she fell asleep. I sat down on the small twin bed that had magically appeared along the wall opposite the crib. I carefully set Ari down and put pillows around her as I laid next to her, my shower long forgotten. I traced her face as she slept determined to memorize her every feature. I traced her almost not there eye brows then trailed my fingers down her nose and across her little lips. She scrunched her nose in her sleep and I smiled feeling my eyes grow heavy with exhaustion. I was going to do everything in my power to protect her. I remained facing her as I let myself fall asleep next to my beautiful daughter.

Jason POV

     I watched Kearstin silently as she walked away from me fighting the urge to follow her. If space was all she needed I was going to give it to her no matter how much it kills me. I quickly linked Dana my top female wolf to go into the nursery to guard my mate and child. She quickly responded and cut off the link. I knew she wouldn't be comfortable alone with any man so this was the next best thing for her. I left the SUV and slowly made my way up the stairs to our room. I took a quick shower and changed into some shorts and a t shirt before grabbing one of my shirts and a pair of Kearstin's sweat pants and underwear before heading to Ari's room so she would have something to wear after her shower. 

     As I entered the room I motioned to Dana to keep quiet as I noticed Kearstin's figure sleeping on a bed with the baby. I walked to the bathroom before setting the clothes onto the counter. I went back out seeing Kearstin was sleeping in the blue scrubs the hospital provided with one hand resting on the babies stomach. I smiled and grabbed a blanket from the closet throwing it over her. She stirred slightly and I froze letting out a breath as she continued to sleep. I didn't want her to catch me in here after she had just asked me for space. I laid a light kiss on her brow before sending her one last glance before heading to my office to be updated on if anything was found. Now that my child and mate were both safe I could feel my anger boiling over. Something like this should have never happened, but I was more mad with myself sense I had been the one who had sent him to look for her. I had trusted him just as much as she had. 

     As I walked in my office my beta and all the other wolfs that had gone with me to find Kearstin were waiting for me. I could tell by the fact that no one could look in my eye that they had lost him. I roared in frustration before putting my fist threw the wall. 

     I took a breath calming myself, "So what do we know?"

     My beta spoke up, "We did find signs that he wasn't working alone. It looks like Darren and Amanda were working with witches. We don't know how deep it runs and if they knew who they were messing with but we are working on finding that out now."

     I let out a frustrated sigh knowing this wasn't anyone's fault. None of us had seen this coming, not even me, the alpha. "Alright everyone get a few hours of rest and we will pick this back up around noon."

     I rubbed up and down my face as they all filed out. I went back into my room and flopped onto the bed pulling Kearstin's pillow to me so her scent could calm me. It wasn't the same as the real thing but at least it was something. I laid on my stomach as my face was buried into her pillow and fell into a restless sleep.