Chapter 8 Halloween

Kearstin P.O.V

     I sighed as I tried on another Halloween costume. I had not heard from Jason in 4 days. I threw down the costumes giving up. I would just go as myself. As I put the costumes back there was a knock on the door. As I opened it my brothers' mate was standing there.

     "Why aren't you ready?"

     "I am. I'm going as a human."

     She gave me a weird look, "Uh uh. Not happening. I've got the perfect thing. I'll be right back."

     I sighed and flopped on the bed as I waited for her. My mind wandered to what Jason was doing. The question was more like who. I grimaced at the thought and pushed it aside. My wolf was so depressed at the departure of her mate that she hadn't made a noise since he left. No one knew where he was or they just weren't telling me but I knew he wasn't at his pack house. And sense we are not fully mated I could not force them to tell me.

     The door opened as she came in with a blue and tan dress with what looked like pieces of sheer fabric that attach to your arms. It was beautiful but there was no way I was fitting into anything of hers.

     "That's beautiful but there's no way I will fit into something of yours."

     "It's not mine. It's my older sisters. She left it here last year."

     I frowned, "I don't know."

     She sighed and pushed it towards me, "Just try it on."

     "Fine," I frowned and headed to the bathroom.

     I quickly stripped and went to pull on the dress hoping it would fit. I was surprised when it fit like a glove. I looked pretty good as a Cleopatra.

     I walked out and Lexi squealed. She went into my closet and came out with a pair of my white wedges. I put them on to complete the look and Lexi smiled dragging me towards the booming music.

     I was nervous as we walked into the very full living room and walked to the back yard that was also crowded. There was a wooden stage set up for the dance floor in the middle of the yard. I went onto the crowded dance floor closed my eyes and began to sway by myself. Before I knew it I felt hands on my waist. I turned around surprised to see Jason dressed like a prince.

     I pulled back quickly and walked away running to my room. Why would he show up here after not talking to me for so long? He has some nerve. I froze as I stepped in my room coming face to face my sister my brother and my niece. I pulled them all to me hugging them hard. How were they here?

Jason P.O.V

     I watched as my mate ran away from me. I knew I had caused this by not telling her what was going on. Hopefully, she will forgive me after she knows what I did for her. I sighed as I walked off the dance floor over to the food bar. The trip to Kearstin's old pack had been enlightening. She had always been an outcast and my rejection just hurt that much more because of it. My wolf begged for me to go see my mate but by now she should have discovered her family in her room. She needs time with them and while I understood that but my wolf wasn't as understanding. I looked up as the she wolf who helped me on my drunken night approached.

     "Jason, how are you?"

     "I've been better... um."

     "Its Cam and we need to fix that. Come dance with me."

     She pulled me to the dance floor before I could protest. Before I knew it we were both laughing at our silly dancing. We both started doing the sprinkler and laughing. I looked up and saw my mate with a confused and hurt look on her face. I immediately pulled away and walked over to her.

     "It's not what it looks like."

     "It never is, is it?"

     "I mean it, she's just a friend that was trying to cheer me up."

     At that point Cam walked over and wrapped an arm around my waist, "What's going on hun?"

     The hurt in her eyes was even more present. She looked at Cam's arm then back into my eyes, "I guess I always finish last. Right, Jason?"

     She shook her head sadly walking away and I watched her speechless. I went to go after her but was stopped by a hand on my arm.

     "Give her time. She's not ready to hear you right now."

     I nodded in agreement, "I'm just going to head home. I'll talk to you later."

     She smiled understanding and headed back to the dance floor alone. I went to find Kearstin's family. They had talked to Cody and he had decided with his family that they would stay here. I said a quick good bye as my mate avoided my gaze and I left. I just couldn't stop screwing up. But I promised myself I would make it all up to her one way or another.

Kearstin P.O.V

     I smiled happily, "How are you guys here?"

     Kristina spoke up, " Your mate. He came to visit our pack and offered to let us stay with him."

     "So that's where he's been. I've been so mad thinking he was avoiding me but I was wrong."

     "Why don't you go talk to him. We will go see Cody."

     I agreed and give them all one last hug and went back to the dance floor. The last place I had seen Jason. I came to a stop as I saw him twirling a beautiful red headed girl. They began laughing hysterically as they did the sprinkler. They both looked so happy. They were a more beautiful couple than Jason and I would ever be. I just would never get to be happy with my mate. He was just not meant to be with me. My wolf whimpered at the thought that we were being rejected again.

     Suddenly as if he felt my eyes on him my mate looked up instantly sobering up and walking towards me. "It's not what it looks like."

     "It never is, is it?" I swallowed down the tears that begged me to escape.

     "I mean it she's just a friend that was trying to cheer me up."

     At that point, the women he had danced with walked over. I recognized her as part of my brothers' pack, "What's going on hun?"

     I felt a burning pain in my chest at the simple endearment. I looked at her arm around his waist then into his eyes, "I guess I always finish last. Right, Jason?"

     I shook my head sadly walking away. He never followed. When I looked back I knew why. The she wolf had a hand on his arm. Again, he wasn't going to stop me. I was never going to get my happy ending. I walked inside plastering on my fake smile I had gotten so good at over the years. I was only inside for a few minutes when Jason came over to me and my family telling us he was leaving for the night. Jason stood beside them as he talked and I avoided his piercing gaze.

     As soon as he was out the door I ran up to my room threw my self on my bed and screamed into my pillow. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. My mate is supposed to love me and make me feel better than I ever have before but Jason only seems to make me feel worse and worse. The only small moment of peace I got was when I discovered my family was here. Please goddess why is this happening to me? What did I do wrong to deserve this life?

I finally fell into a restless sleep where I dreamed of......