Chapter 2 New Life

3 days later

     I flipped down my mirror to look at myself as I pulled into the gas station. Halfway to the pack house my a/c broke so my hair was thrown up in a messy bun and hair was stuck to my neck and face by the sweat. I sighed and knew with the heat nothing was going to help. I grabbed my wallet and headed inside. I walked to the back and grabbed a water sighing when the cool air from the fridge hit me. I looked for something to snack on and my gaze landed on some chips. I checked out and paid for 20 in gas as well. I grabbed my stuff and my change and went out to my car. I pumped the gas and got into the car opening the bag of chips and the water so I could eat and drink my water as I drove. I drove for about 10 minutes while munching on my chips that were slightly stale before I came to the dirt road I needed to turn onto. I drove for five minutes before the trees parted to show a huge white house with blue shutters and a large back yard that was surrounded my dense forest. I saw someone standing there as I pulled up. I quickly recognized it as my brother Cody. I parked quickly and jumped out running to my brother throwing my arms around his neck. He hugged me back lifting me off the ground for a moment.

     I smiled as I let him go, " I missed you so much."

     "I missed you too. Why don't you come in?"

     I walked in and was surprised to see all the people in the room. The first person to get up and hugged me I recognized as my brothers mate Lexi. I smiled as he introduced me to so many people there was no way I was going to remember all their names. The house was full of people. I hadn't realized he wanted to throw a party when I got here. He had probably neglected to tell me knowing I would most likely protest.

     My brother cleared his throat, "So let's get this BBQ started held in honor of my sister joining this pack. I have also invited our neighboring pack, our allies, to celebrate with us. I only thought it right and it would be fun. So everyone, get your swimsuits on and let's get this started."

     I excused myself to find my bathing suit and change, lucky I had packed one. I looked in the mirror subconscious of my size. I'm not the smallest person. I was wearing a high waisted pair of bottoms with sun flowers on it and a bicine top that was black. by all standards I looked pretty good. I set my sunglasses on the top of my head as I shoved away the feeling and confidently went out to the pool. I greeted people as I passed them. I went over to a table that was set up with different finger foods and grabbed a grape popping it into my mouth. I grabbed a small handful as I made my way to the pool. I was still very overheated from the car ride with no a/c

     I let out a little sigh as I slipped into the cool water I swam a few laps before I stood up smelling something. I sniffed the sniffed the air smelling something spiced. almost like a spiced herbal tea. The smell was intoxicating and made me slightly dizzy with the scent. I was pulled out of my trance as Cody called my name. My eyes snapped to him as he called me over to where he was talking to a very attractive male. He had the blackest hair I had ever seen and impossibly clear blue eyes. His smile was dazzling as he talked to my brother and I felt an intense need to kiss that mouth. What is wrong with me? I shook my head as I stepped out of the pool grabbling a towel as I made my way over to my brother.

     I stopped by Cody as he gestured to me, "Jason this is my sister Kearstin, Kearstin this is Jason. He is the alpha of our neighboring pack."

     I smiled holding out my hand, "Nice to meet you Alpha."

     "Jason is fine Kearstin."

     He smiled and grabbed my hand in his. I gasped and dropped my hand as what felt like electricity passed from his hand into mine. I looked up into his eyes and they were such a dark blue they were almost black. I could see his wolf just below the surface before I realized something, he must be my mate. 

     A woman came over interrupting out stare grabbing his arm, "Hey babe."

     She kissed his cheek as I let out a low growl, "He's mine!"

     Everything went quiet with my outburst. I looked back into Jason's eyes which had turned cold and back to their normal shade of blue. The woman next to him looked confused as did every other wolf that was watching our exchange.

     "That's not possible. You see honey we are mated." She pulled her hair to the side and showed me her mark. I saw the little silver half moon scars that are from a healed mark.

     I looked at him shocked, how could he mark another? I looked into my mates eyes which seemed to hold some guilt but it quickly disappeared. "What do you mean? You're my mate."

     He cleared his throat, "Its like she said, you cant be my mate; I already have one, you must be mistaken."

     My lip started to tremble, "Please don't do this. You know I'm your mate." I grabbed for his hand and he jerked away before I could make contact.

     "No you are not my mate," he said this harshly his eyes hard and cold.

     "So are you rejecting me then?"

     "You aren't my mate to reject, so take that as you will."

     I turned walking quickly for the woods as Cody yelled behind me begging me not to go. I ignored him as I shifted shredding my clothes. I ran for what must have been hours finally stopping when I came up to a lake. I drank deeply from the cool water. I laid next to the water and just watched the wild life as it went on around me. I eventually stood and made my way back to the pack house. My heart was still heavy with the rejection but I couldn't stay gone forever.  When I got back it was almost dark and the yard looked like a party had never even taken place. As I approached the back door there was a note from my brother telling me which room was mine. I was thankful, I didn't want to talk to anyone. There was nothing anyone could say to make this better.

     I went into my new room and went straight into the shower. I sat in the shower with the water running down my back with my head between my knees crying. Finally, when I felt like I couldn't cry anymore, I got up got into my pajamas and fell into a restless sleep. I thought about the days events over and over again before I finally fell into a sleep that was black with no dreams.