𝟙 , ghost of you

lyrics are from - 'ghost of you' by 5sos
grab tissues
986 words

♥ ♫ ♥ ♫ ♥

after his 25 year hiatus, luke had taken a long time to even come close to your house. he didn't know what he wanted to see.

ever since the band was back, the boys had encouraged him to go and see you, to get the closure he needed. maybe you had married, they'd say, you could be happy and he would feel better. even when julie found the picture of you two in his songbook, she had joined in with the pleading boys.

luke wasn't selfish, he had wanted you to be happy and with someone else, maybe even with kids of your own. but he ached at the thought of you already having been without him for the last 25 years. he had hated that he had done that to you. again, he wasnt really sure what he wanted to see.

but as the anniversary of you guys dating hit for the first time since he was a ghost, he knew he needed to see you. he knew today was the day.

and so did the boys.

but they didn't say anything all day, and weren't surprised when they came back to the garage to find him already gone. luke knew they would know.

he stood outside your door. he didn't know what to do. a part of him wanted to knock and see you answer the door to see him and see the look on your face, but the other part knew that would never be possible. you wolf never be able to see him like julies could, and it broke his heart. he didn't want julie to help out on this one either, like she had offered, he wanted to do it alone. see you on his own.

he walked through the door with a shaky breath, and looked around your house. it was almost exactly the same, maybe the paint had changed but the pictures and couches still sat were they used too. he still knew his way around, and was shocked to hear piano keys coming from the basement. he walked down, opening the door slowly so it wouldn't creek, and slowly walked down the stairs.

the keys were low, a sadder tone than he had been used to hearing you sing along to. but he sat on the edge of the stairs, peeking around the wall to get his first look at you in 25 years.

your eyes were looking down to the lyrics sitting on your lap, and your long brown hair fell down your chest in a long braid. the same hair, same girl, that luke had fallen in love with. but the smile he had grown to memorize couldn't be seen within them. even though, you were just as beautiful as he remembered.

but the change didn't meet luke's expectations. your face had matured some, but your stature was the same. you still fit into the yellow converse you had loved years ago, and the same bracelets luke had made you sat tight around your wrist. if anything, you looked maybe five years older than where he had left you at. what was going on?

the second you had started singing, though, luke had lost his train of thought immediately. melting at your words.

"Cleaning up today,
Found that old Zepplin shirt,
You wore when you ran away
And no one could feel your hurt.
If I can dream long enough
You'd tell me I'd be just fine,
I'll be just fine."

it was then luke realized you were wearing his old shirt. the one he had left behind, he remembered giving it to you just the day before he had eaten those street dogs. you had been with him through the whole time he ran away from home, basically glued to his side, getting him through the guilt he had from what he had done to his mother. you didn't necessarily support the decision, but you had always been there for him, and you weren't going to stop then.

the sweatshirt had been from his mom, and had hurt him to much to wear it, the guilt of running away was still a fresh wound. so he gave it to you. "it's looks better on you anyway." he had remembered saying, making you blush.

"everything's going to be fine," he muttered as he saw the look of sorrow appear on your face, the one he had seen on you since his decision to run away, "i'm ok, you're ok, and even if nothing else is," he grabbed your wrist, "we're okay."

he had told you you would be fine, but he hadn't known the future. he blinked back tears and tried to focus on the words you were currently singing.

"So I drown it out like I always do
Dancing through our house
With the ghost of you"

"ghost?" he muttered softly, leaning into your words. his eyes spilled over with tears at the memory of how you used to dance together through your house. it was cheesy, yes, but it had always made you laugh in a way he had loved. the knowledge of you having to drown those memories out made his heart ache.

he wished he could dance with you again.
he wished you didn't have to think of him as a ghost, a distant memory, a loss. he wished you didn't have to think about him at all, the pain he had caused you was too much for him to see. a tear rolled down your cheek as you finished the song, and you sighed deeply.

luke jumped down from the stairs, walking over to you. but the noise that had come from his converse hitting the concrete floor had startled his girl, and her eyes flew up to meet his.

"luke?"

... part two coming soon ...