extra, just for a moment

been waiting to write this one for a while.... xcuse me as i sob. i'm so freaking proud of this one!!
includes 'just for a moment' by the hsmtmts cast, and of course with some changes to fit the scene :)))
952 words

♥ ♫ ♥ ♫ ♥

the orpheum.
this was it. it was your chance to finally do your unfinished business, for you to switch over. well, the boys anyway.

it was left to the unknown if you would be going with the boys at the end of tonight, but you shook the nerves out of your hands as the stage was prepped. you didn't know what would happen, would you go with the boys to heaven and live happily ever after or would you be stuck here, with julie, wondering what you will have to do to get out?

julie was great, your bestest friend even, but life without your boys seemed like a life wasted.

tonight was it. alex, and you, would get the answers that were so desperately needed.

julie and the boys started out with stand tall, and julie jumped in her poofing tutu as you took over the piano and sang backup. luke held a few exchanges, his smirks melting away any worry that was inside of you for the time being.

you didn't know what was going to happen, but you knew one thing. here, singing on this stage with your favorite people, everything was ok for the moment.

the band took a bow at the front of the stage, but you left to change and grab your own mic. you smiled and cheered from backstage as they bowed multiple times, and the crowd went wild. you were so happy, so proud, to be with the ones you loved dearly. you wished it wouldn't end.

as the crowd simmered down and the slow music began, the boys and julie walked off stage, and luke was holding out his hand for your taking.

you and luke planned a duet into their big show at the orpheum, squeezing it in the middle of stand tall and great. you and luke had wrote this song together, and it was perfect for what you had been feeling for the past couple hours.

luke took your hands, led you to the center stage, stared into your eyes, and you fell right into the rhythm of what you two had rehearsed.

"i fell in love, with the only girl who knows what i'm about," luke nodded to you as he finished his line, and you took a breath, smiling up at him.

"and i, i fell in love, with a boy and i know i won't fall out," you laughed together as you continued the song in perfect harmony.

you closed your eyes as you sang,
"after all is said and done,
i cant just say that i'll move on"

luke took a breath,
"is it just some parts we're playing
cause it don't feel like we're faking,"

you both took deep breaths before the chorus and finally took your eyes off of each other's. the spotlights rose and hit you two perfectly, and a purple glow fell all around the stage and crowd.

"when we're underneath the lights
my hearts no longer broken, for a moment
just for a moment
and when we're standing side by side
there's so much left unspoken, for a moment
just for a moment."

it was then you knew. you knew. that standing here, looking into luke's eyes, no matter what happened, you would be okay.

you had been here alone before, and you had got to see him again. and the moments you had made in between were enough to get you through life as a ghost without him, if it came to it. but you didn't even have to worry about that right now, because just for this moment, you were okay. you were happy.

you were in love.

"a moment in love,
a moment in love,
but is a moment enough?"

you two had added that last part while writing because you weren't sure a thousand moments would be enough if you ending up leaving each other tonight, but you began to feel that it would be. no matter what would happen, you would still have each other.

and something about the look in luke's eyes told you he had begun to feel the same way.

you went through the motions of the song, the vocals you rehearsed and the moves you remembered as you went through the verses, and it felt like you were falling in love all over again.

"maybe," you smirked as the music lowered, and it was just your voice radiating through the speakers, "his heart still stops when he sees me. maybe it's worth getting through the night, it's the perfect place, the perfect time." you held out the last word in perfect pitch, and luke came in behind you with the chorus and the music kicked back in. you smiled and continued the chorus with him when you caught your breath.

soon, it was just you and luke sitting off the edge of the stage, holding each other's hands, singing with no music behind you, so your voices echoed through the orpheum.

"when we're standing side by side,
i know that we'll be alright
if only for this moment,
just for this moment."

the crowd went wild, but luke only leaned forward to press his forehead against yours. you giggled, feeling his warmth radiating off of him.

"we'll be ok." he muttered, before getting up, helping you up as well, and embracing you in a hug as the crowd continued to cheer.

and, once again, in his arms, you believed him.