Chapter 57 - The way things should be

"What really!? You're gonna take my advice!?" Valentina's cheers boomed in the empty school halls.

She stared at me with a twinkle in her eyes as she bobbed in place. She was way too excited...

"Yeah, I think playing a sport might do me some good. So with that being said, any suggestions?" I asked with hesitation.

I really didn't want to do this. But I knew I needed to face this, I've been running long enough. Just like my super strength, I just needed to keep control and trust myself. I can do this!

"Well of course! We can talk to the coaches for the upcoming seasons! Football's over now, but we have basketball and wrestling coming up."

I leaned against the lockers and rolled over the idea.

"I'm scared I'll have some battle royale PTSD in the middle of wrestling. And I've never touched a basketball before.."

Huh, I'd have to meet a bunch of new people if I do this. My heart started to race and I quickly moved my hood over my head.

"Yeah no, maybe this wasn't a good idea."

"Hey! No turtle shelling! What happened to all that bravado a minute ago!" She barked.

I felt her grab onto the rim of my hood and start yanking on it. But I just turned away from her.

"No way, if I join a team that means I've got to talk to a bunch of new people. And I'll probably just drag the team down because I suck. And then I'll suck in front of hundreds of people during games! I won't even have a mask or a hood! I'd rather fight Stone!"

"Hey calm down they'll teach you! And most of the guys are really nice people."

"No way, I don't want to bother them. This was totally a bad idea."

"Hey what happened to all that change talk huh!?"

I grumbled and looked up at her, my eyes meeting her stern glare. It was weird, I was intimidated. Yet I couldn't help but admire how cute she was.

I groaned and hesitantly looked up to her. She was giving me a stern glare that reminded me of Lux. But I was more distracted by her eyes. I almost forgot how pretty her eyes were. It was like getting lost in the woods. I looked down and caught a glimpse of her lips. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks and I quickly looked away.

"Your right.." I mumbled.

I snuck a peek at her and she was smiling triumphantly at me. Then she took a step back.

"Look, I'm not gonna force anything on you. This is a hundred percent you. All I can do is support whatever decision you decide to make."

I took a breath and moved my hood down. You wanted to be more like Jack right? Just like back at Nirvana, you need to keep your head held up and keep moving forward.

"Thank you Val, I needed that reminder."

Her cheeks slowly grew to a rosy shade.

"Don't mention it, now come on. I have someone we can talk to about this." She grabbed my hand and yanked me forward.

And there goes my heart, back at the race again.

"V-val I can walk fine ya know?"

"Oh no, I don't trust you to not run away."

Ah, so it was a trap...

I decided to just not fight it anymore and go along with her. It honestly calmed me down to hold her hand. It was like a fire was flaring in my chest, making my whole body feel warm. I just felt comfortable.