Chapter 28 - Fallen petals

I ran, I ran as fast as I could. I activated my super strength and increased my speed. I didn't care about getting caught, I just needed to know everyone was okay. That Annual wasn't...

I didn't even want to think about it. Just the idea that she was getting worse, it sent shivers throughout my body. I leaped like a bunny and bounded over to the truck. It only took me three hops from the entrance to land right beside the ambulance truck.

I ran around to the back of it and saw that the doors were open. I was taken back for a moment. I expected to see nurses or doctors back here. However, I found two men in black suits. Each suit had a golden sword with wings pinned to their collars. One man was tall with darker skin. The other was short and rather pudgy.

I looked down toward the stretcher. There was Annual. She looked feverish and was squirming. I got defensive immediately.

"Who are you guys!?" I demanded. "And what are you doing with Annual?"

"I think that's our line kid." The dark-skinned man spoke up.

"Stryder?" I heard Zack's voice call out to me from behind.

I didn't turn away from the men in black.

"Stryder! The guy who defeated Stone and fought Rex!? Plus he's number three of the legendary swordsman!? So cool! Can we get you-"

The pudgy guy was fangirling over me. But the tall one elbowed him before he had a chance to gush anymore.

"Shut up, we're losing our cool factor." The tall one whispered to him.

"Zack, who are these guys? And why do they have Annual?"

"It's great news Stryder! Like the best news ever!"

"Huh?" I turned around to face him.

"Think he'll give me an autograph?" I heard him whisper again.

"I talked to Frosty Flakes! Who talked to Arthur! Who agreed to help take care of Annual, she's going to a top-notch doctor!"

"W-what! Really!?" I cheered.

A warm feeling slowly raised its way into my chest. I began to smile uncontrollably.

"Yeah! Not to mention he's searching for all the support class gifts around! As long as we agree to work with him!"

My smile slowly began to fade. As long as we agree to work with him huh?

"Zack, are you sure we can trust this guy?" I asked softly.

I could see Zack's smile fade. He looked confused.

"Listen Stryder. Who cares about any of that? As long as she gets fixed, that's what matters right?"

I didn't respond at first. I wasn't sure if that was right.

I looked back down to Annual. Her anguished face, her squirming. The color in her hair. It's even more faded...

"I guess, you have a point," I said trailing off.

Just what was Arthur playing here? Did Zack just make a deal with the devil? I looked back to Annual. I didn't trust this, not one bit. We were pretty much giving him a hostage to use against us. I didn't want to leave her. I knew nothing about Arthur. To be totally honest, I wasn't fully trusting of Jack yet either.

"We're riding with her up there right ?" I asked.

"Of course!" Zack cheered

I heard a high pitched beep coming from the men in black. He reached up and put a finger on his ear. I assumed it was an earpiece.