Chapter 98 - Hell's Garden pt.1

-Before Stryder attacked-

(Zack's Perspective)

I looked over the pile of texts I sent to Annual. She didn't even open them. Considering how well things went with mom, she's probably already got dad crying.

I groaned and scratched the back of my head. It's official I guess, I can't escape this idiot's influence no matter what I try. He's got Annual, and Annuals got mom, and now he's gonna have dad too. This was a good thing right? I should be happy Everyone's changing, but still. It's like everyone's just leaving me behind. The day at the rehab center came into mind. Stryders influence completely has her, and now it's crawling up on me.

"Maybe it's okay to submit to it, in my own way. Somehow.." I sighed. "What does my own way even mean?"

I stopped at my door and shook my head, I'll figure it out I guess. My eyes glazed over the metal door knob, and I had to take a breath. Time for another Strydork moment. I grabbed the knob and turned it. As I pushed the door open, my whole body shuttered, and I forgot how to breathe.

The stench of bleach filled the air, and I saw Annual slumped over on the floor like a lifeless doll. My father was on the floor aggressively scrubbing away the remnants of a red stain. I looked at him, then back to Annual. Blood still stained the side of her head, and I saw bruises on her cheek. My wind went blank, and I ran over to her. I moved my hand to her neck and tried for a pulse, there was nothing.

"Kid! Stop all that and get over here! She's fine!" My father demanded.

He was still talking but his words were muffled. My heart pounded against me and I moved my head to her chest. I trembled when I realized nothing was there.

No, no, no, no, no, no ,no!

"No! No!" I yelled.

I punched the floor next to her, then started doing compressions on her chest. My arms could barely stay together, everything just kept shaking.

"Annual! Wake up! Wake up! I need you! Please! Baby sis! Gnome!" I yelled.

My tears rained down over her body, sliding down her face. There was no reaction. Her body just convulsed more. Memories of our life together flooded my mind. Everyday I took care of her, the things I stole for her. The smile she'd always give me, the lectures she'd give me when I was stupid. The starry eyes she'd make when she was with Stryder, her laugh. I needed it! I needed it to be with me! I needed her to be okay! I wanted her to be happy! She deserves it!

Suddenly I was yanked away from her and thrown on my butt. My eyes met my father's, and I saw the blood on his shirt.

"What happened!?" I yelled.

"Kid, don't worry about that right now! We gotta hide the body!" He roared back.

Hide the body...? He didn't say hospital, he said hide the body...

My father took a breath and fixed his long shaggy hair.

"Look, It's, it's a lot to explain." He said and stepped back. "So let's just get your sister and-"

I used the fire on the back of my elbow and rocketed my fist into my dad's face. He dropped back against the wall and a few of his teeth went flying. I marched over to him and snatched his collar.

"You tell me right now what's going on!!" I demanded.

His amber eyes seemed to quiver at the sight of mine, and he averted from my gaze.